Drilling through tile for shower door installation

Old 06-12-15, 01:43 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drilling through tile for shower door installation

I am about to install a framed shower door in the shown opening. Two questions:

1. Where should I locate the door - near the inside edge of the opening of the shower or closer to the green trim outside the opening? Does it matter?

2. If near a grout line, should I move the fastener holes to the grout line or try to keep them in the field of the tile? I am drilling with a masonry bit. The tile was placed over a mudbed reinforced with chicken wire. I am planning to attach the door frame to the wood behind the mud bed.

Name:  shower door ready.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  23.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-15, 01:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
1) Over the top of the berm, usually centered and plumb, but you can cheat a little outboard.
2) You'll have to drill wherever the predrilled holes are located on the frame. Sometimes they hit on grout lines, but most often they don't.

I am concerned regarding the methodology of the preslope and slope of your pan being put together with chicken wire. Was this a professional installation?

You may find a better bit in this link. They seem to do better in ceramic tile. With any bit, spray them with water as you go to keep the bit cool. Bosch Glass and Tile Drill Bit Set (4-Piece)-GT2000 - The Home Depot

Old 06-12-15, 02:46 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks.

The grout line I'm wondering about is the vertical line between the two vertical columns of tiles - should I locate the shower frame there so I can drill through the grout line between the columns, or move it off the grout line?

Ref the pan, the entire shower compartment is mudded (not sure if that is the correct term). That is some sort of mortar reinforced with I believe chicken wire was used on the walls and floors to a thickness of perhaps 3/4 inch before the tile was applied.

It was a professional installation done by a tile sub hired by the GC, who is generally highly regarded in the area.

Old 06-12-15, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The further out you can go, the more room there will be in the shower. Of course you don't want to go to the edge, that just looks odd.

I second the type of bit recommended. At a minimum you could try the cheaper ones that look sort of like this at the tip. Ryobi Hex Shank Glass/Tile Bit Set (4-Piece)-AR1650G - The Home Depot

They won't last as long but for one door they are fine.

If the grout line is centered at both ends and it gives you enough room in the shower, then that's fine

I actually moved the location at my last place when replacing the door. It was tight to the inside with about 2 1/2" of curb on the outside. Amazing how much bigger the shower felt after just shifting it about 1 1/2" out.