How to dispose of unused slate or stone tile?

Old 06-13-15, 07:52 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
How to dispose of unused slate or stone tile?

Five years or so ago, my son had a kitchen floor tiled in a house he owns in central Ohio. A few extra pieces were left after the floor was done. The house is still owned by my son; it is a rental property. He did not want to leave the extra tiles there after the work was done and the house was being shown to prospective tenants. He moved them to my garage since he was living with me at that time. My son now lives in another state but he still owns the house and I do some property management functions for him.

This tile came in 2' x 2' pieces and is heavy (not easy to move around). I see no need to keep these extra pieces; I'd like to get them out of my garage. Could I break them into smaller pieces and just put them in the trash barrel for regular trash pickup?

If a valid reason exists for keeping a few pieces, I'd like to move them back to that house and put them somewhere in the basement. That house has no garage.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-15, 08:48 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
As soon as you get rid of them, there will be an issue at the rental - water problem, termites, etc that will require partial removal of the existing floor. At that time you will wish you had the extra pieces to repair instead of having to replace the whole floor. I always make sure that an extra case of tile is left for "FUTURE" needs. It is not unusual to see extra tile at a house, I consider it a plus. He should have never moved them to your house and dumped the issue on you.

Old 06-13-15, 08:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 204 Votes on 181 Posts
I agree with Czizzi, as soon as you get rid of them you will need them. That's Murphy's Law.

If you really want to get rid of them, yes, you can break them up and put them in the trash. However, since they are still good and usable, I would recommend putting them on craig's list in the free section. I'm sure somebody could use them for a small project.

Old 06-13-15, 08:55 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Save some and then put a free sign on the rest out by the road. One mans trash is another's treasure and it is gone. Hobby and craft people love that stuff.

Bud

TI, you beat me again, by seconds.

Last edited by Bud9051; 06-13-15 at 08:56 AM. Reason: comment
Old 06-13-15, 09:34 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks to all for the replies. I think I'll move them back to the house where they belong. I'll have to haul them in the trunk of my car but I think I can handle that. If the weight of all pieces appears to be too much to move at one time, I can split it up into multiple trips at times when I would be going there anyway. I'm sure it can be done in two trips.

Old 06-13-15, 12:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 204 Votes on 181 Posts
TI, you beat me again, by seconds.
Great minds think alike.

Old 06-13-15, 01:25 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I had a bunch of chipped tiles, bricks, slate and other rubble. I used larger pieces for a french drain and a sledge hammer and a burlap sack turned the rest into a decent aggregate for future projects.