Acceptable lippage

Old 06-15-15, 11:16 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Acceptable lippage

I am sure this topic is all over this forum, and if someone wants to redirect me to a thread, please do, but I am trying to get a better sense of acceptable lippage on a 12 x 12 porcelain tile.
I have laid about 90 sq feet and have about 40 to go. When I test the lippage variance using the quarter test - or as I understand the test for lippage, the width of a quarter between corners (.066") I have several corners that exceed that amount (though not by much) and 2 corners that are closer to 1/8, though in a closet. Over the total, I have about 8 corners that are not with the variance. BTW, some people recommend a credit card thickness, but that is much less that the quarter thickness (or the .066" that I have read as the ANSI spec)
I am using 1/8' grout lines.
My question is: how bad of a job is this? If you were laying tile in your own home, would you think you had a made of mess of this or that it was okay? It looks okay to me, though I haven't grouted, but a couple of spots catch a toe.
I laid this in the basement of a raised ranch. I laid this over a 1/2' hardibacker, over a 3/4" T&G subfloor, floated and anchored over 1" XPS. Some people thought this would not be an acceptable subfloor for tiling; maybe I am finding out why this wasn't a good subfloor or maybe I am not a good tiler or maybe these are acceptable variances. But the subflooring was hard to get level - I guess I should have used a leveling compound.
Anyway, any thoughts from experienced folks?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-15, 11:35 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Why did you not lay your tile directly on the basement concrete. Instead, you installed this complicated sandwich and then put cement (board) down again. Why the extra steps and layers?

A tile install is only as good as you want it to be. You need to address any lippage as you go, not after the fact. Grouting will make it seem better, but the tight grout line will be tough to bridge. In the end, doing it for yourself, you need to be happy with it, regardless of what we say. My bigger concern is the longevity of the wood you put down. You did use pressure treated lumber for your sleepers, correct?

Old 06-15-15, 12:06 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I insulated my entire basement with a layer of xps and a bunch of other techniques. It's been a long process and I am pretty happy with the results and this tiling job is the last step. I wanted to insulate the floor because it's a room we use a lot as a family and I wanted it to be more comfortable in the -20 nights of VT. I laid the plywood directly over the XPS and used split anchors to attach the plywood to the floor. I had a lot conversations about the method, including one with Martin Halliday (an editor of FineHomebuilding) on his blog.
You can see the conversation here, if interested: What’s the Best Basement Flooring System? | GreenBuildingAdvisor.com
Anyway, I felt confident that at least tiling over this flooring system was viable. I have Bamboo in the rest, and after the first year, it's been really fantastic; warm, controls moisture/vapor, very little moisture in the summer with humidity. I know people have issues with it, but I feel like I did enough homework to at least try the tiling.
So, now I am laying the tile and just wondered if these results are out of what people would consider acceptable. I know I have to live with it, but I can't really tell if it's a C+, B-, D, D+.... if I paid someone to do it, I would expect better, so maybe I should have that standard with myself... just curious if 8 corners out of about 90 sq ft more than .066 variance is bad, ok, acceptable or what