Constructing a small interior wall. Where do I even begin?

Old 06-18-15, 02:37 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Constructing a small interior wall. Where do I even begin?

I have a room in my basement that has a large, older TV. It's inside a "hole" in the wall (for a lack of a better term). The TV is way too big to move out of that hole. So I was thinking of pushing it in slightly and then making a thin wall (maybe even a wallpaper or large poster?) over it. I want to do this because I want to have a big flatscreen TV instead. So it will be in front of that newly made wall. The flatscreen will be on a table as opposed to hanging on a wall.

I'm having trouble manually adding a picture of what my old TV looks like so I'll just post a link to the image.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/133392.../shares/373LN4

Does anyone know what I should do? I've never done anything remotely close to this before. Will it cost a lot?

Old 06-18-15, 02:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
This may help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Is this your TV in the flickr picture? Have you removed the trim to see what is behind it? Is it movable, or is the cover just a facade?

Old 06-18-15, 03:17 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
@chandler

Yes, that is my TV. There's a narrow "hallway" behind the TV. You can actually see the door to that "hallway" to the left of the TV. So there is room behind the TV.

Old 06-18-15, 03:36 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Just take the TV apart and remove it! Pushing it back into the wall like you are talking about doing is just delaying doing it correctly. If you do it correctly now you'll never have to worry about it again. Those old projection TVs like that come apart fairly easily so you could take it out of your home and pieces. Then you could just frame back in were you removed it and once you finish the new sheet rock you would never know what was there to start with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: