Backsplash Install Suggestions Needed

Old 06-28-15, 06:12 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Backsplash Install Suggestions Needed

Hi,
I'm about to start a new tile installation for a kitchen countertop and backsplash. I'm going to be installing 3" honed stone mosaic tile (groutless) as an accent between the 6" porcelain tile backsplash. I'd like to add, this stone mosaic is sheet backed. Please see link below;
http://www.floridatile.com/system/im...ot--62_WHT.jpg
Bottom row will be porcelain tile with the above row being the 3" mosaic tile. Above that, I will continue with the porcelain tile. The single row of the 3" mosaic tile will be continous throughout the length of the backsplash.
I have installed tile on countertops, backsplashes and floor tile in the past, but I have never installed groutless stone mosaic as an accent. I believe pre-sealing the stone mosaic would be a good idea. I have a few questions;
1) What would you suggest for this type of installation?
2) During the grouting of the porcelain, what is the best method for keeping the grout off of the mosaic stone since the stone mosaic is groutless?
Any help and/or suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks, Ray

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-15, 07:25 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I'm not a tile guy but personally, I don't believe in sealers, especially in a place where food is prepared.

Maybe some Painter's Tape would keep the grout, off the tile.

Old 06-28-15, 07:44 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Also not a tile guy, but..
About 2 years ago, a buddy installed a similar accent strip in his backsplash. I helped a little bit.
2 things:
1) He used something called "press and seal"-a plastic like wrap (different from Saran Wrap or wax paper) that seals/sticks to dishes with leftovers on them. It seemed to work for him.

2) The accent strip that he used had a lot of texture/relief to it. (not exactly like yours, but similar)
His wife, who had the idea for that particular accent strip now wishes that she had picked a simpler one, as cleaning the "nooks and crannies" (her words) of dust, splashed liquids, etc. became a pain in the neck.
Good luck with your project.

Old 06-28-15, 08:25 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I'm going to side with Mike and say that this will be a challenge to keep clean in a food prep area. I do a lot of pan frying and such, and if you ever saw my glasses after cooking, you would see how much oil gets splattered up into the air. This mosaic will catch and hold all that and not be very friendly cleaning. However, it is your house not mine.

Any good stone sealer would work. I would use general purpose masking tape to protect. Blue tape will not hold once you start washing the walls for grout. Just don't leave the tape on for an extended amount of time. Apply just before you grout and remove while still wet from your final washings.

Old 06-28-15, 09:13 AM
J
Hi Ray,

It's easy to see how you were attracted the these tiles, but it's a bad idea for a kitchen backsplash. Those tiles were not intended to be used there. The reasons are obvious and already covered.

Sealer will do almost nothing since it will not fill the holes or the joints.

Jaz

Old 06-28-15, 10:01 AM
M
This is exactly why I love this forum..... All of you have opened my eyes to the potential problems that could/would arise. My wife and I agree with your comments. This would have looked awesome with our knotty pine cabinets, but we now see that it wouldn't be worth it. Thank you soooo much for enlighting us. Ray