Resealing tile shower corners... need advice please!

Old 07-02-15, 12:41 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Resealing tile shower corners... need advice please!

I recently bought a home and was unhappy with the current shape of the tile shower. It looked like where the tile wall edges met, were originally grouted, and subsequently cracked. The previous owner then apparently put some sort of sanded caulk/grout stuff over the top, which also got absolutely disgusting and cracked by the time I bought it.

I would like to correct this and do it right. So far I have scraped the crap out of the old cracked out grout and, what I call, the botched fix. It is coming along pretty good but now I would really appreciate some advice as to what to do next.

I plan to reseal it with GE anti-mold and fungus 100% silicone caulk. However, the size of the cracks that I will need to fill in have me a bit concerned if filling it with silicone is the best (or even appropriate for that matter). If you all could please look at my attached photos and let me know if my next step is the best one I would greatly appreciate it!

Entire shower so you know what I'm working on.

Bottom area where largest crack (about 1/4") and crevice behind occurs.

Closeup of bottom crevice.

Spot directly above chiseled out grout. Old cracked grout visible.

Here is the cracked grout up above and the "botched" fix on top of it that I have partially scraped off.

Where the tile meets the bottom shower surface that I plan to seal with silicone.

Other large crack/crevice on opposite wall. OK to fill with silicone???

Thank you very much for reading this and looking it over. Any advice I can get is much appreciated. While very ambitious and up to the task, I am new to home ownership and this is all new to me!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-15, 01:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! When dealing with tile, any change in planes, up/down, and side/side, you should always use a flexible medium, and not grout. You have some rather large snake tunnels, there While most will be fillable, some may need a small amount of foam backer rod so you won't use a tube of silicone per foot of crack. Generally the color matched grout caulk does a good job. I believe what happened in your case was the other owner saw the cracking starting and rather than removing all the grout, just grout caulked right over it. The grout caulk never had a chance to do its job. I would still recommend using the color coordinated grout caulk in sanded form, not unsanded. GE Silicone II may not make a color that would blend well. If so, the substrate must be perfectly DRY, so set in a fan to help move the air and dry it out.

Old 07-02-15, 02:47 PM
S
Thank you for the prompt and informative reply chandler! I hadn't heard of the foam backer rod before. Did some research on that and think that may be the trick I was looking for to dealing with those "snake tunnels" lol.

As for the sanded silicone caulk vs unsanded... actually I already bought unsanded (This GE Silicone II Almond which I thought would blend pretty well... but what is the benefit of the sanded? Perhaps I could return the unsanded if sanded is truly the way to go.

Thanks again.

Old 07-02-15, 02:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I doubt you will find GE in sanded, as a grout caulk. In the tile section there are sanded and unsanded grout caulks. The benefit to the sanded is that it will look much like the sanded grout in your joints at present, rather than smooth like the GE will. Only you can tell if the GE will blend well or not. May be worth a try, and it is an excellent product.

Old 07-02-15, 04:42 PM
S
Ahh ok gotcha... that makes sense. Thanks again Larry for all the help!!