Subfloor and finished floor

Old 07-06-15, 01:49 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Subfloor and finished floor

In one of my rooms there used to be a leak from the roof well before I bought the house. Not sure if the wood I have on the floor is damaged by water or if it is just glue from the vinyl.

From what I gather, i have a tongue and groove subfloora nd then I guess a 3/8 inch plywood underlayment for which vinyl tile was placed on top.

I was thinking about ripping the whole floor out before carpeting, but I think that may be a lot of work. What I was thinking about doing was:

A) getting 1/4" plywood to put on the top so that the floor is even with the flooring coming from the living room

B) Removing the underlayment and getting 3/4" plywood on top of the subfloor.

C) make a floating floor

However in all instances I wasn't sure if I would be putting too much thickness into the room...what happens if someone wanted to put ceramic tile or continue the wood floor?

Also does the plywood have to be tongue and groove? Interior Plywood? Does it have to be put in a certain way?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  41.4 KB
This shows the entry way. From the other room there is hard wood flooring which is 1/4" higher than the floor in the room. I lifted up 3/8" plywood that is on top of the tongue and groove flooring at the door threshold.

Views: 376
Size:  37.0 KB
Here you see another threshold and the floor of this room meeting..again I think it is 1/4" difference

Views: 153
Size:  42.1 KB
Here is the 3/8" plywood? that I guess is the underlayment on top of the tongue and groove? Not sure if it is water damaged or just the glue from the vinyl.

Sorry the room is dusty from sanding spackle.

Last edited by mrordinary; 07-06-15 at 02:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-15, 04:45 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The black discoloration looks too concentrated, on one side to be from the glue. Does that section feel colder than the rest?