tiles in front of fireplace

Old 07-08-15, 06:19 AM
Q
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
tiles in front of fireplace

Our insurance company ahs required that we put tiles in front of the fireplace (attached image).
Previously, they were glued/tile cemented onto the wood but I removed them and want to do something a bit more professional.
Is there a recommended way? Can I cut out some of the wood here and insert tiles instead?
If so, do I need plywood underneath the tiles but on top of the of the floor joists? Will I have to cut out 3/4" of the joists to sit the plywood on top and then tile to get everything level? It probably only needs 3 tiles.

Furthermost on the left is not straight, so I'd need to cut the tile but don't want to spend on a tile cutter for 1 tile.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-15, 08:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 553 Posts
Start reading about tiling a floor. You will duplicate the process except it will be over a smaller area. Basically remove the hardwood flooring but leave the sheeting underneath in place. Then attach Hardie Backer or cement board and set your tile using thinset and grout between the tiles.

Hardie Backer and cement board are available in different thicknesses with 1/4" and 1/2" (or some fraction really close) being the most common. Pick the tile you want so you know it's thickness then you can use whichever backer gets your tile to the elevation you want. The backer is there just to proved something that the thinset can stick to. It's not really there for strength so you can use1/4 or 1/2, whichever makes the elevation work.

Old 07-08-15, 08:26 AM
Q
How do I remove the hardwood flooring? Depth cut with a circular saw?
And the best way to cut the tile without a tile cutter? Just score it?

Old 07-08-15, 08:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
Skil saw along with a multi tool works well for removing the hardwood. A sharp chisel could be used instead of the multi tool. I'd see if you can find a tile guy out working somewhere and get him to cut that single tile for you.

Old 07-08-15, 11:08 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
For a while, I think the big blue box store offered a service where they would cut a couple of tile for you, although I never used the service and don't know if it still exists. Other option, is to find another tile that will work with your little alcove and not have to be cut at all. Use a Schluter edge strip to finish off the tile against the wood and probably caulk the area between the schluter and the wood with a colored caulking. Follow the Pilot's advice on the cement backer and make sure you set that in a bed of mortar prior to fastening it down.

Old 07-08-15, 11:15 AM
Q
When I've done this before, I just used plywood screwed into the floor.
If it's cement backer, how do I secure it to the floor joists?

Old 07-08-15, 11:28 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
You are not supposed to lay tile on plywood, I know people do it all the time, but the bond usually fails. Remove the hardwood, keep the plywood that is under the hardwood, place a thin layer of thinset mortar down, lay the cement board in it and use galvanized roofing nails to attach. Don't worry about hitting the floor joists, its actually a good thing if you miss them and only nail to the subfloor. The thinset under the cement board acts like a 1000 tiny hands that support the cement board preventing air pockets and voids for a solid surface for your tile. The best thinset comes in powder form and is mixed on site at the time of installation.