Sticky tiles or tuscan slate acid wash concrete?

Old 07-17-15, 01:44 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sticky tiles or tuscan slate acid wash concrete?

I'm currently doing over my basement as a studio with a kitchen , bathroom and living area. It will be an open concept so I would like everything to flow. Before knocking down a dividing wall I had someone renting the room and they paid for slate like black tiles that I put in for them.

My original plan was to continue these tiles into the kitchen area and then put real tile in the bathroom. The floor concrete is in great shape. I have been looking at this acid wash with a Polly coat and I think it looks awesome! So, I am considering doing the whole floor in this and pulling up the vinyl tiles. I am looking for opinions on this before I make up my mind.

Is this something a DIYer could do himself and still achieve professional results?

Name:  1441418_10205030459536777_6308103988049626454_n.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  28.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-15, 01:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
You may see a consensus regarding sticky tiles, but they are at the bottom of the food chain, so to speak. As nice an area as you have, I would consider ceramic tile on the concrete. Much more durable and they won't peel up.

Old 07-17-15, 01:53 PM
R
Thanks for the feedback, I'm not a huge fan of tile on such a big surface and its rather expensive. (I have it in my foyer and bathroom upstairs). Do you have any opinion on the acid wash stain with with a Polly finish coat?

Old 07-17-15, 01:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I have a client who had their basement floor scored, stained and finished (poly??). I went over for something, and thought they had covered the floor with leather. It really looked that good with the stain job and all. Yes, it is a viable option. I am not sure of the expense as compared to ceramic.

Old 07-17-15, 02:10 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Additionally, while there may be some who can comment, I'm not sure how results staining concrete vary between a pro doing it and a DIY job.

Old 07-19-15, 04:18 PM
R
Removing vinyl, anyone have experience with texture and staining concrete?

I'm currently doing over my basement as a studio with a kitchen , bathroom and living area. It will be an open concept so I would like everything to flow. Before knocking down a dividing wall I had someone renting the room and they paid for slate like black vinyl tiles that I put in for them.

My original plan was to continue these tiles into the kitchen area and then put real tile in the bathroom. The floor concrete is in great shape. I have been looking at this acid wash with a Polly coat and I think it looks awesome! So, I am considering doing the whole floor in this and pulling up the vinyl tiles. I am looking for opinions on this before I make up my mind.

Is this something a DIYer could do himself and still achieve professional results? I've watched quite a few youtube videos and it seems doable. Any tips or suggestions on the procedure for this would be greatly appreciated.

Name:  1441418_10205030459536777_6308103988049626454_n.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  28.6 KB

Old 07-20-15, 08:10 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I merged your two threads since the general concept has not changed - you'll get better answers that way.

Old 07-20-15, 08:32 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I'd be concerned that the mastic used to adhere the tiles will prohibit it from taking stain similar to where the tiles never were installed. If peel and stick, then you may be OK. If a 100% spread and LVT install, you may be hard pressed to get all the glue back up. Even if you do, all the chemicals that are used may change the staining characteristics of the cement and again, lead to different color tones in the same floor.

Old 07-20-15, 08:50 AM
R
Good point. I did use peel and stick but in most the videos I watched on this process they sanded down and cleaned the concrete first. Im not really sure what kind of machine or grinding wheel was used as I highly doubt a typical floor sander would do. Maybe someone here could point me to the proper tools for that portion of the job.