Hardie Backer 500- for plaster walls? ADVICE NEEDED!

Old 07-24-15, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hardie Backer 500- for plaster walls? ADVICE NEEDED!

Okay I have a rental which has plaster walls in the kitchen, the refrigerator leaked and there's other general damage behind the appliances.... and the walls are pretty crappy in the lower half.

My idea was to use some joint compound to fill in the damage, then come up about 4 feet all around the back wall with 1/2" Hardi Backer 500, screwing it directly to the plaster/joists to make a kind of water resistant backing behind the appliances. Because it kind of looks like cement, it would look fairly nice just as-is. And it would resist this sort of damage happening again.

Can I use it as a kind of wallboard without tiling it in this way or is it too brittle? Its been suggested it can be used in showers with just say plastic frp outside it. I know regular tileboard woudn't work but wondering if this stuff might.
Thanks-

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-15, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Jeff,

Not a good plan. Hardie can not be the finished wear surface even if it's just a wall. (and not just because of its looks).

I don't get why you'd need it in the first place. I'm sure water isn't spraying from behind the fridge, hope not. What happened to the floor?

Jaz

Old 07-25-15, 03:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
IMO it's better to use a setting compound like Durabond to repair plaster than regular water soluble j/c especially if there is danger of moisture damage. I'd likely make the repairs with Durabond, prime and then apply a coat or two of latex enamel. Enamels somewhat repel moisture while flat paints are apt to absorb some of the moisture.

Pics might help us better understand what you are dealing with - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

almost forgot welcome to the forums!