Subfloor thickness for tile install

Old 07-27-15, 02:10 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Subfloor thickness for tile install

Hello!

I am looking to install tile flooring throughout my main floor hallway, entrance way and into the kitchen and powder room. I currently have two layers of subfloor as a second 1/4" layer was installed to level out the existing floor (currently covered in linoleum) to get even with the hardwoods on the rest of the floor. I would like my tile to but up as close as possible to the hardwoods, hence my question of whether I can remove the top layer plywood.

So the question is really, how do I know if my current subfloor thickness is strong enough for a tile install. I have read throughout the forum and a couple of things like joist span are needed.

Can someone let me know measurements specifically what is needed to calculate whether tile can be installed over this first layer subfloor (that the 3/4" thick hardwoods are already installed on).

Thank you!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-15, 02:32 PM
J
Received 75 Votes on 70 Posts
Need the width, spacing, and free spans of the joist.
You can not install tile over 1/4" plywood, so that needs to go.
Need to know how thick the subfloor is and what it is, any partical board if there is any needs to go.
Forget about trying to have all the different types of flooring come out even, most important is the proper support for the new tile.
There's dozens of different styles of transition stipes avalible .

Old 07-27-15, 02:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I concur. The linoleum and 1/4" plywood must be removed. Then pull up a floor vent and measure the thickness of your subflooring. You will want about 1 1/4" for a good substrate. We will need to know the joist size (2x10, etc), spacing (16" 24"), and the total unsupported span. The last figure is what usually causes problems as it allows to much flex in the flooring. But we'll wait on the figures.

Old 07-28-15, 06:43 AM
U
Thanks all!

So here is what I have come up with...hopefully this helps:

- joists are 16" oc, 2x10 (a true 9 1/2)
- 11ft unsupported
- 5/8" thickness plywood

Let me know if you need anything further.

Thanks!

Old 07-28-15, 01:44 PM
J
There's no question that umlisica (how do you pronounce that?) was going to remove the " ply, but he's thinking of installing tiles direct to the ⅝" subfloor. You can't do that.

If the joists are in good condition and were installed correctly, they should be stiff enough for tiles. However, the wimpy ⅝" subfloor is probably too bouncy. You need to install an underlayment, I would make it " or thicker. Then over that you'l install either " tile backer or a membrane such as Ditra, then the ceramic tiles.

Jaz