Order of tiling installation in a new bathroom

Old 07-29-15, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Order of tiling installation in a new bathroom

need some help, even after reading several posts. Tub and shower separate... outside of tub surround getting tiled down to floor... shower completely tiled, including all sides of dam. Do I still do the floor last? thank you!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-15, 02:02 PM
I always tile the floor last, less worry about cleanup. If necessary, leave any tiles up off the floor enough to slide the floor tile under them, or leave the bottom tiles off and put them in after.

Old 07-29-15, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator
Don't most tile floors/walls use some sort of cove(?) tile in the bottom corners? Or is it called base tile?

I've never done it, but I would think the floor would be last. I've only done tile floors with wooden base.

Old 07-29-15, 02:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I think the jury is still out on this debate with pros on both methods so there really is not a "correct" way so to speak. I personally like to do the floor first in the shower then cut a large piece of cardboard to cover it while doing the rest. I then start with the second or third row on a level ledger board and work up. I usually leave the bottom row so that it has to be custom cut to fit in case the floor is not perfectly level and straight. Others like to do it last so they are not walking all over the tile freshly laid on the floor. I give it a day to set up and the cardboard cushions it a little.

Vic, cove base usually only comes in the fairly dated glazed 4.25" x 4.25" tiles that are reminiscent of the older 60's and 70's homes. Most modern stone look tile does not have that as an option.

Old 07-29-15, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks Z, that's probably what I was thinking of.

Old 07-29-15, 04:31 PM
bathroom tile... floor last?

I'm not really concerned about messing the floor tile up while I work on the rest... just wondering about the joints, i.e the joint between floor tile and vertical tile that it meets. Guess if I'm sealing that joint with silicone that it doesn't matter? Anyone's thoughts on this is appreciated. thanks!!!

Old 07-29-15, 04:35 PM
bathroom floor tile clarification

So sorry... to be clear... I'm tiling the floor of the whole bathroom, and the shower, and the outside of the tub... down to the floor. So I want to know whether to tile the bathroom floor first (not the floor of the shower) thank you!!

Old 07-29-15, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
That's one thing I DO know...any time you change orientation of the tile run, you use a caulk of some sort not grout. There are specific caulks that can match with your grout in most cases.

Old 07-29-15, 05:27 PM
As long as your floor tile goes under your wall tile, that's all that really matters. Which one you do first is up to you really.

Old 07-29-15, 06:51 PM
Keith, thanks! that's the answer I was looking for... appreciate it!!