Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Newly framed bathroom wall out of square - should I have contractor redo?

Old 07-30-15, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm in the middle of a new bathroom install and have hit a bit of a snag with a bathroom wall being out of square. This bathroom was just framed from scratch, and as you can see from the attached photo one corner is pretty badly out of square. I already had to have the contractor fix the studs once (before the drywall went up) as they were even further out of whack - the stud in the bad corner was about 2 inches further out that it was supposed to be. But obviously it's still not even close to being square.

This happens to be the side of the bathroom where a tiled shower will be, and since we're using 2"x2" floor tiles, I'm concerned about how this is going to look with that much of a running/angled gap on that side. The last thing I want are little angled tile pieces running along that side. Would you have the contractor redo that section of drywall to make sure it's square? Or would you consider this within acceptable tolerances?

Thanks!

Name:  IMG_5950.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  31.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-15, 08:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
I can't tell what I'm looking at in the picture but if you don't think the contractor is getting the job done, at least talk to him and, given that it appears to be the second strike, think about replacing him.

Old 07-30-15, 08:58 AM
Sorry about that, the square tool is flat on the small side and about an inch out on the end of the long end. The long end represents the width of the shower itself, so that angle between the long end of the square and the drywall is what I'm worried about for the tile.

Old 07-30-15, 09:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Well, 1/2" in 2' is not acceptable on any planet that I live on... not sure about where you live. Secondly, you don't install tile over drywall no matter if it's moisture resistant or not. If you didn't catch this by now (since its taped and sanded) he isn't going to be happy.

FWIW, this is a DIY site, not a place where we police the work of so-called "contractors". If you are doing it yourself, we are glad to help. If you are paying someone to do the work, talk to him.

Old 07-30-15, 09:33 AM
The 18" leg of the square is too short to determine what's going on. The drywall compound in the inside corner may be part of the cause. So, drywall in a shower? Tell us more about how this shower will be built and how it's gonna be waterproofed. More details & pics too.

Jaz

Old 07-30-15, 10:48 AM
Thanks guys, I'll have a talk with him. We are using the Kerdi membrane over this drywall to answer that question. And this part of the project is DIY as I am installing the Kerdi system and tile as well, but it is the first time for me on this type of project so I wanted to see if I'm out of line expecting a square wall here.

Thanks again for your input, much appreciated.

Old 07-30-15, 06:12 PM
Expecting fairly square corners is not asking too much as long as any existing walls don't prevent it. We can't tell what was there and what is new.

If the contractor used regular drywall compound on the seams, you'l want to apply a sealer that the thinset will like, or skim the area with thinset to help the bond. Thinset and adhesives in general are not friends with gypsum compounds. That's why you don't use seam 'mud' where tiles are to be installed.

I like the Kerdi system very much and is why I've recommended it for at least 10 years. Done right, I think it's the best way to build a shower.

Ask away.............

Jaz

Old 07-31-15, 06:38 AM
Jaz, that's an interesting remark because I remember now seeing that Schluter says not to use mud the drywall underneath the membrane. I never knew it was because the unmodified thinset doesn't like drywall compound. The drywaller did just use regular compound - what kind of sealer would you recommend? Or what do you mean by "skim the area with thinset"? I'll do some research on the issue, thanks!

Old 07-31-15, 03:21 PM
You probably also read that there's no need to tape the joints where Kerdi will be installed.

You can improve the bond by skimming the areas with thin set, or dilute a waterproofing membrane such as Redgard,(if you happen to have some around), or a coat of drywall primer/sealer. If you spot paint with the primer/sealer, let if cure well before continuing, (5-7 days) or do one of the others.

Do you want an explanation of "skimming" of have you figured it out in your recent search?

Jaz

Old 08-03-15, 02:44 PM
Thanks Jazman, I actually went out and got a can of Latex Primer as per Kerdi's instructions (for when taping and mudding is required by building code). Hopefully that will get me a good bond to the drywall compound. Wish me luck!