how much grout?

Old 08-01-15, 03:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
how much grout?

I tiled my small 1/2 bath floor with 2" octagon tiles. It's just over 19 sq ft. I bought this grout - Shop MAPEI 10-lbs Pearl Gray Sanded Powder Grout at Lowes.com I don't know if my thinking cap fell off or what but I can't figure out how much grout I need to mix for it

Will it take the full bag? more than one bag? less?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-15, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Marksr,

There's many variables as you know, but aside from wide gaps around the perimeter and other waste, you should have enough to do that room several times. I'd mix about ⅓ and see what happens.

Jaz

Old 08-02-15, 03:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks Jaz!
There is a chart on the side of the bag but for some reason I couldn't make heads or tails of it

If I survive this low residue diet I plan to grout it monday morning, thanks again

Old 08-03-15, 07:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks again Jaz! When I went to mix the grout it just didn't look like enough so I mixed approximately a half bag. It took it all. Without your advice I would have mixed the whole bag

I was a little worried about using a dark grout with white tile because it can highlight any mistakes but it came out nice My wife picked out the tile/grout which was $2 a square cheaper than what I was considering

Old 08-03-15, 09:38 AM
Glad it worked out nice and the wife is happy.

The charts on the bags are a good reference to give us an idea, but there's lots of variables. The thickness of the tiles, width of the joints and how much of the gap is taken by the thinset etc. I used to get 175-200 ft. from a #25 when grouting 12" tiles. Most guys would get 125 ft. Just depends.

Jaz

Old 08-03-15, 10:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know if it was me or they way they printed the chart but I couldn't wrap my head around it
I understand the variables, just couldn't figure out how to get in the ballpark

My wife did point out areas I missed with grout along the edge of the walls - under where the baseboard will be

Old 08-03-15, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by marksr
My wife did point out areas I missed with grout along the edge of the walls - under where the baseboard will be
Actually Mark, that area is not supposed to be filled with grout. It should be left open for expansion, or you can caulk it if you wanna slow down any water that may be spilled. I didn't always follow this rule in small areas esp. wet ones where the walls were drywall and therefore a bit flexible.

It was always a point of question when customers would see a wide gap around the perimeter in a larger area. It's actually easier to fill than it is to try to keep the grout out. Wood base and shoe will cover about 1" after they're installed. Bathrooms are another matter.

Jaz