Best way to remove this tile

Old 08-03-15, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best way to remove this tile

I have this metal tile that is fixed on with this hard putty type material on my bathroom wall, not the shower. The tiles come off fairly easy but the putty remains and is extremely hard to scrape off. What is the best way to do this? Is it possible to just apply joint compound over it instead? I have uploaded 2 pics of what im dealing with here.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-15, 02:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The fastest and most economical way would be to cut out all the sheetrock and tile back to the studs, and replace the sheetrock with greenboard or concrete backer underlayment (you did say it was not in the shower). You would have a new slate to put your new tile up on. Scraping all that mess off would destroy the paper covering on the sheetrock anyway. If you don't plan on re-tiling, then finish the sheetrock and prime and paint.

Old 08-03-15, 03:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok thanks! The tile is on the bottom half of the wall only so would it be best to cut only that part out and replace it with drywall?

Old 08-03-15, 04:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yes, only the part that has the tile on it, if the remainder is in good shape. That way you only have a straight seam to repair and not a ceiling corner.