Tile to floor or leave gap for base molding??

Old 08-09-15, 02:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tile to floor or leave gap for base molding??

So I have tile extending out from the side wall of my tub about 4 inches. Should I bring this tile all the way down to near the sub floor, or should I tile down to about 6" from the sub floor and then close that gap with the rubber baseboard molding? thanks!!

PS- any tips for grouting would be greatly appreciated??

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-15, 03:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Are you choosing the rubber flex molding on purpose? Why not tile all the way to the floor and grout the line? OK, this is only for that one+ row of tiles that extends away from the tub, not the entire room. Yes, bring the tile to the floor. If your flooring is not installed, wait until it is, then put in the last wall tile so you can cut it accurately.

Old 08-09-15, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok great, I'll add the last row and take it down to the floor... should I leave a 1/8th gap above sub floor and just caulk that gap? I'm not sure what you mean by grout the line?

I have another question though: the gap in the inside corner of my tub surround tiling isn't a full 8th of an inch. I was told to caulk this joint with caulking that matches my grout. Is that correct? And, do most people try to match their tub edge caulking with the tub (white) or with the tile grout (off white). Do I caulk around the bullnose tile outline of my tub surround? Thanks!!

Old 08-09-15, 05:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yes, my poor choice of terms. Use a color coordinated grout caulk in all changes of planes.