Any concerns or tips using spray-on grout sealer?

Old 08-11-15, 06:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any concerns or tips using spray-on grout sealer?

It's been several days since I tiled my bathroom floor so the grout should be cured and ready for sealer. I used a busy mosaic "pinwheel" pattern so it's not practical to seal with a little applicator pen. I've read comments about spray-on sealer leaving a blotchy sheen on matte-finish tiles. How can I avoid this and end up with properly sealed grout lines?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-15, 08:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 197 Votes on 182 Posts
Much depends on the sealer you choose and on your tiles. I generally use a paint roller and roll the sealer on the entire floor. Then I come back with a firm, damp sponge and remove the sealer from the surface of the tile much like you do when cleaning up after grouting.

Old 08-11-15, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by guy48065
I've read comments about spray-on sealer leaving a blotchy sheen on matte-finish tiles.
Makes no sense to me. There's no way that any blotching may have been caused by a spray, there's more to that situation then we know. Would be helpful if you'd tell us which sealer you're planning to use, and the specific type of tiles too.

Forget the applicator pen waste-of-money thingy. Apply the sealer on the tiles and grout, follow directions.

Jaz

Old 08-11-15, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by JazMan
Makes no sense to me...
I looked up instructions and info online, tile stores, etc. There were mentions to be careful not to get sealer on unsealed tile (obviously) and matte tiles because it will leave a shine and is hard to remove. Many cases it needs to wear off over time. Didn't like the sound of that...

I haven't picked a sealer yet--waiting to see what the experienced gang says.

Old 08-11-15, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by guy48065
There were mentions to be careful not to get sealer on unsealed tile
That makes no sense to me. Again, sealer is supposed to be applied to unsealed tiles, you wouldn't need to seal a sealed tile would you? Maybe they/you meant to say unglazed tile, but those get sealed too. Penetrating grout sealer does not have a sheen. I have no idea what you read. Got a link?

Jaz

Old 08-18-15, 07:40 AM
I forgot to follow up on this...

What is Grout Sealer and Do I Really Need It

Never apply grout sealer to the surface of non-glazed tile. Otherwise, the sealer will soak into the tile itself and never come out.
Spray-On Grout Sealer. Don't relish the idea of laboriously following the grout lines with an applicator tip? Then, just spray it on. You do pay the price for this convenience, because you have more tile surface cleaning later on. The theory behind spray-on sealers is that sealer fluids soak into porous materials (i.e., sanded grout) but not into smooth surfaces (i.e., the glazed surface of ceramic or porcelain tile). So, even though sealer will end up on the glazed surface, it should wear off over time--in theory.
(Emphasis mine.)

Old 08-18-15, 09:28 AM
I definitely do not agree with his statement;

Originally Posted by LeeWallender-link
Never apply grout sealer to the surface of non-glazed tile. Otherwise, the sealer will soak into the tile itself and never come out.
That's exactly what penetrating sealer is supposed to do. It does wear off eventually though and is why it should be re-applied occasionally.

Originally Posted by Lee-link
using the brush or roller sealer applicators on an entire roomful of 1" sized tile can take up a whole weekend. In this case, I recommend the spray on type of grout sealer.
Nonsense. Once the floor is cleaned, the average bathroom might take 15-20 minutes per coat. I don't necessarily recommend spray sealers since some contain a polish that may make the floor more slippery. Sprays may be better for walls.

But several years ago there was a big problem with a certain spray sealer which caused breathing difficulties. Some people were admitted to the emergency room and several died. Search "spray sealer deaths". I don't believe we need to worry anymore.

He made several other errors, but he's not a tile expert, so.........?

Isn't the internet wonderful? Anyone can become an expert largely by just saying so.

Jaz