Help going to tile kitchen floor to new condo (No experience)

Old 08-11-15, 11:55 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help going to tile kitchen floor to new condo (No experience)

Ok so i will be closing escrow in a week or so on a small 1 bed/ bath 807 sqft total, and i want to tile the kitchen floor (no more then 80 sqft). Currently the kitchen has vinyl flooring dont know how old it is, but the condo was built in 1969 and there weren't very many upgrade except laminate floors and maybe paint.

So I really would like some advice on which type of tiles i should use i was looking at this type of tile

MS International Metro Charcoal 12 in. x 24 in. Glazed Porcelain Floor and Wall Tile (16 sq. ft. / case)-NMETCHA1224 - The Home Depot

I have viewed several videos on tile installation and seems fairly straight forward as long as i follow the steps it should go well.

cabinets will be white so im assuming white tiles or something light. anyways im an amateur just looking for guidance and any helpful pointers and headsup before starting this project in the next week or two. If the kitchen goes well i will do the bathroom since it too is vinyl.Name:  1.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  8.3 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  14.3 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  6.3 KB

sorry photos arent great, but you see the area is small for the bathroom and kitchen.

Also i dont know if this matters, but i willbe repainting/resurfacing the cabinets and putting new hardware on them, the cabinets location will still be the same.

Old 08-11-15, 12:01 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Let's start at the basics: what's the composition of the subfloor and the size, spacing and unsupported span of the floor joists (assuming you have joists)?

Old 08-11-15, 12:14 PM
K
Sorry, im not sure the building was built in 1969 stucco outside i believe its wood under the vinyl. Again im not sure havent been able to tear up the floor. It is a top floor in a 3 level condo building. I do know that the kitchen vinyl is atleast an inch lower then the laminate floors. Not sure if any of this helps

Old 08-11-15, 12:55 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
We need to know exactly how the subfloor is built starting with the joists as stickshift asked. We understand you don't know yet and may have to do some investigating to get the info. Assuming all three levels are framed the same way, is there a lower level with unfinished ceilings? Maybe a mechanical room or laundry area? You may be able to ask the owners or maintenance person for this info.

Jaz

Old 08-11-15, 01:13 PM
K
forgive me for being complete amateur, but in regard to the subfloor and the size (is it just refering to the sqft?), and spacing and unsupported span of the floor joists i dont know how to find these. Once i pull up the vinyl flooring will this be easy to figure out?

Old 08-11-15, 01:27 PM
S
Group Moderator
Commonly, floors are built by spanning the walls with pieces of lumber laid on their side every couple feet or so - these are the floor joists. What we want to know, if you have these, is how big the pieces of lumber are, how far apart they are and how far it is between the walls or other items supporting them from underneath.

On top of the floor joists will typically be sheets of material (planks are common in older homes) in one or more layer. We want to know what materials you have, including how thick each is.

Starting to make sense?

Old 08-11-15, 01:28 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
We need to know how the subfloor system is framed. The size of the joists, their spacing and the span between supports. it would also be nice to know their species and grade. No, you can not see this from above although you should be able to determine all this even though you can't see under the floor. (except the species and grade of course). Then we need to know what's on the joists, the thickness and how many layers if more than one.

While you gather that info, I can tell you that the floor has to be very flat when installing 12 x 24" tiles. We can determine all the other requirements later.

Jaz

Old 08-11-15, 01:32 PM
K
right but when i removed the vinyl i should be able to figure this out easily right?

Old 08-11-15, 02:08 PM
S
Group Moderator
We'll see. If not, post back with questions based on what you do see after removing the vinyl. Very likely there will be a 1/4" layer of plywood immediately beneath the vinyl.

Old 08-11-15, 09:19 PM
K
is it ok to remove the plywood? I can imagine its probably pretty old dont know if it can be worn out or not.

Old 08-12-15, 07:18 AM
S
Group Moderator
If you do find that 1/4" layer of plywood, you will be removing it to prep for tile.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: