Help with grout selection

Old 08-21-15, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with grout selection

I installed some glass and stone mosaic tile awhile back and have still yet to grout it, been slacking. Its been up for a few months now.

I picked up this tile from my local Menards store.

My plan was to clean it, dampen it with water, then grout it, wait a few days and seal it with impregnator 511.

Is that the correct order, or should I seal before I grout? Might get color change?

My grout lines are 1/8", a bit more at cuts where items weren't exactly straight.

I picked up a bag of unsanded grout, but not sure thats the best option. I'm not able to find epoxy grout anywhere near me.

What would be the best type of grout to use for this tile? I also would need caulk for all my inside corners and joints.

Any opinions/recommendations for colors?

Also any tips on how to remove thinset that filled the grout joint? its versabond fortified mortar if it makes a difference.

I've attached a few pictures that might help.

Thanks for all the help and I hope I made sense of it all.

Name:  IMG_0330.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0331.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  33.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0333.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  45.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-15, 11:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
Can't tell from the pics but what is the size of the grout line?

Also, what are the non-glass tiles made of?

Old 08-21-15, 11:57 AM
Grout lines are 1/8"

Non glass tiles are some kind of stone. It's the phase mosaics glass and stone wall tile from menards.

http://www.menards.com/main/flooring...74102161200920

Old 08-21-15, 12:22 PM
Group Moderator
The glass is probably fine but I would think you would need to seal the stone and I would do that prior to grouting. If any of the stone is soft, like marble, I would be hesitant to use a sanded grout.

Hang tight and let's see what Jaz and Z have to say when they get a chance to chime in.

Old 08-21-15, 01:01 PM
Stone is fairly hard. My biggest concern was the glass tile. I would like to use epoxy but not sold around here. Need to get it done before Sunday.

I would like grout that is stain resistant And also prevent mold and mildew

Old 08-21-15, 01:44 PM
Group Moderator
Has nothing to do with hardness for sealing - natural stone needs to be sealed and it's easiest to do that before you grout.

Sanded grout can scratch softer stones, that would be the concern about hardness.

Old 08-21-15, 03:38 PM
I'll bet lunch that those joints are not ⅛" wide. ⅛" = .1250 or about the thickness of 5 credit cards. I don't think you can squeeze 5 cards in there, try it, let us know. Unsanded is fine for up to ⅛".

Go ahead and use the unsanded grout, (which is what the book says), since the glass tiles could be scratched by sanded grout. I've done it with sanded too, because it's impossible to see scratches on those tiles. Note: some sanded grouts are rated for 1/16" - ".

Seal everything with 511 Impregnator after initial curing and clean up of the grout. See directions on the grout. It's not necessary, but you could seal the tiles first (as a grout release) but you're supposed to wait 24 hours to grout, you're running out of time.

Remove the excess thinset using a utility knife with the blade running at an angle as you pull.

Jaz

Old 08-21-15, 04:04 PM
Jaz, im just assuming the spacing is 1/8". The tile came in sheets that I just had to stick to the wall. I used 1/8" spacers where it met the countertops, trim and cabinets.

I will double check though. Most of my 1/8" joints I made will be caulked anyways.

I guess I will stick to the unsanded grout. I purchased Polyblend? from home depot. Is that decent grout, or should I look for something better

JazMan, I just checked and they are just slightly under 1/8". Some places where I cut the sheet for outlets and where two sheets met, are 1/8" exactly

Old 08-21-15, 04:19 PM
I've used Polyblend with no issues. BUT, of all the grout issues I've read on this and other forums through the years, I'm gonna guess that 90% were complaints with the use of this brand. May be a coincidence since lots of people shop at the orange place for tile products. I think most of the issues where about color wash out and blotching with beigy family colors, well blacks and charcoal too. But, wouldn't surprise me if the main problem was installer error, as is usually the case, (and why we're here).

Jaz