New kitchen floor tile came loose

Old 09-01-15, 02:44 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New kitchen floor tile came loose

Hi guys
New to the forum, hope this is posted in the right place. I could really use someone's input here, I'm a worrier about silly things like this, but I've spent a lot of money on a brand new kitchen and want it to be perfect.

I had my kitchen completely redone in November last year, including new kitchen units and floor tiles (on a wooden floor).

Unfortunately I've now noticed one of the tiles has come loose, it rocks/ makes a slight clunk sound under foot. The fitter that did my kitchen is coming out to take a look, but not for a couple of weeks. I have spare tiles, but I'm worried because I can't see how he can fix the tile (which is wall to wall, under the kitchen units) as it is kinda sealed under the kitchen unit / plinth.

See photo below which will help explain, the tile marked with an X is the rocking one. You can see the bottom of the kitchen cupboard unit top left

I guess my question is- do you think this is an easy fix for a professional, how will he do it without ripping up my kitchen unit, and do you think it will be easy for him to prevent it wobbling again?

Thanks guys

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  37.6 KB

Old 09-01-15, 03:59 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If you have spare tile, he most likely will crack it out with a hammer and chisel. Welcome to the forums, please complete your profile to tell us where you are locate. Some of the terminology used indicates that you may be overseas.

Expand on the comment that the tile was installed over wood flooring. Describe the procedures used during installation such as how thick the subfloor was, was a cement backer placed down, how big the span is between floor joist supports as well has the size and spacing of the floor joists. This will help us access how the floor was installed and whether you can expect a long life out of it. Hopefully, this is just a bump and a one off, which happens.

Old 09-01-15, 04:04 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Confusing post.
Kitchen units? You mean kitchen cabinets?
Wooden floors?
No way should tile be laided over a wooden subfloor without 1/4" tile board first
Adding your location to your porfile would have been a big help.

Old 09-01-15, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
OP is in the UK so thus the different terms.

Old 09-01-15, 06:39 PM
A decent tile guy can remove that tile and replace it no problem. Of course the grout will need matched, but since the tile is fairly new it should be an easy fix.
The new tile doesn't need to sit under the plinth/cabinet panel, it can be cut around it with good or excellent results.

And a note: You may want to answer some of czizzi's questions. If other tiles in your kitchen sound hollow or you sometimes hear a scrunching sound, this is not good.

Old 09-02-15, 11:47 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Replacing a tile is easy. The reason it came loose in the first place is what we're trying to figure out since it could mean many more loose and/or broken tiles in the near future if this was a poor installation job. Z has asked the questions we need you to answer to start down that road.

Old 09-02-15, 01:31 PM
D
Some superb replies thank you all.

Yes I'm in the UK, and apologies for misleading terms.

To confirm, I am talking about what I would call the kitchen unit, ie the below pic. Also a pic of the wooden floor is below that from when the kitchen was being done.

Sorry I don't know the answers around the span between floor joist supports etc, as I didn't do the work and I'm not great with DIY, it was done by a good professional though.

I think your posts have given me confidence that this will be fixed which is a weight off my shoulders, but if anyone has further comments/ input it would be welcomed.

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 1398
Size:  25.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20141110_182037_918.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  27.8 KB

Old 09-02-15, 01:40 PM
S
Group Moderator
The floor as I see it in the lower picture does not in the least look like a tile-ready floor to me. Do you know what, if any, was added to it before the tile was applied?

Old 09-02-15, 01:51 PM
D
I don't, sorry. Do you still think it is an easy fix? Obviously I need to speak to the fitter when he comes back to ask about potential future problems.

Old 09-02-15, 02:09 PM
S
Group Moderator
Do you have a vent in the floor for the furnace or air conditioner? If so, lift that out and let us know what layers you see. Otherwise, we may just have to wait and see what's under that loose tile.

Old 09-02-15, 02:18 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
A plank wood subfloor is not an optimal surface for which to add tile, it expands and contracts too much. A layer of plywood followed by either an uncoupling membrane (Ditra here in the states) or cement backer board would be needed before the tile.

Take the back of a screw driver or other tool and rap on the tiles all around the kitchen. Tiles should sound solid. If the tile is loose, you will hear a different tone when it is rapped. Use he known loose tile as the key sound when checking the balance of the kitchen for issues.

Old 09-02-15, 02:34 PM
D
@ stickshift-
no, nothing like that unfortunately, so I will have to wait till he lifts it to find out the potential for future issues.

Old 09-02-15, 02:44 PM
S
Group Moderator
Certainly ask him what he did as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: