Tiling over tiles

Old 09-01-15, 03:48 PM
Tiling over tiles

Seeking a short cut due to time constraints.

On a bathroom floor with ceramic tiles, is it possible to throw over and screw a 1/4 to 3/8 inch OSB and tile over it. The new tiles planned are either ceramic or porcelain.

Regarding scewing the OSB on older tiles I will drill a hole in them to reach the wood undelayment below.

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-15, 04:51 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Some pics might help. Other than that, do you plan to lay the floor around the toilet & the vanity? How will the change in height affect the door?

Old 09-01-15, 05:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Short answer would be a disaster. First you can't tile directly on OSB with much success. Secondly, you will be raising the entire floor level up to 3/4", including toilet and vanity, as Pulpo states. Of course tearing it all up and doing it right would be the best solution.

Old 09-01-15, 06:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Seeking a short cut due to time constraints.
Never a good reason. Do it right or not at all.

Your post tells us that you have little knowledge of tile. Would you like to learn some more? Removing the old and starting from fresh is the best way to install tile. We will need additional information so don't jump the gun. Let us know if you want to do it correctly.

Old 09-01-15, 06:44 PM
Thanks for all the replies and I agree the toilet would find itself out of height etc. Better to hammer the old tiles and chisel out the old mud which might take half a day but would be worth it. I hope there is no wire mesh below there as I do not like wire-mesh job.

One question, why would tile not be good on OSB? I did one OSB/plywood job in older house without using wire mesh or ditra (that pink sheet whatever) and it came out good and has no problems 3 years so far. Infact in that job the vinyl stick tiles were left as they were and wood board screwed in followed by mud on both wood board and back of the ceramic tile. It was in the kitchen and dining area so no question of heights adjustments etc.

Old 09-02-15, 11:50 AM
Group Moderator
You gambled when you installed on OSB and over those other materials. So far, you appear to be winning but that does not mean it was a good idea. Solid tiles like ceramic and stone need a certain amount of stiffness in the subfloor as well as a good substrate for the thinset mortar to attach to for adhesion. Vinyl, 1/4" plywood and anything other than cement backer board or ditra or the like immediately under the tile are not best practice.

Old 09-02-15, 02:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
One question, why would tile not be good on OSB?
Wood expands and contracts too much to be a stable substrate for direct tile installation. A decoupling membrane is needed to separate any movement from the tile. Cement backer or Ditra provide that slip sheet to allow one side to move slightly and the other to remain solid.