Terrible regrouting job

Old 09-05-15, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Terrible regrouting job

My husband and I currently rent a small townhome. The property maintenance man come by this week to recenter our shower drain, fixing a leak that had refently developed there. As part of the fix, he regrouted the built-in bench seat.

I just used the shower for the first time since the fix and discovered that he did a TERRIBLE job with the grout.

It's scratchy, on the tiles, and awful to look out. He clearly didn't take out the old grout and just added a new layer on top.

How's in God's name do I fix this? I've emailed the property manager to find out what kind of grout he used.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  26.5 KB
Views: 261
Size:  18.4 KB
Views: 277
Size:  18.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-15, 04:54 AM
Received 72 Votes on 67 Posts
The excess grout was not sponged off after he applied it. It can still be taken off but will require a bit of elbow grease. Use a wooden or nylon scraper (not metal) to help remove the grout from the glazed portion of the tile. It should chip off easily. Wetting it will help. In the corner section be careful not to remove too much at the corner itself. I agree he could've done a much better job. On some areas he never put in enough grout (first pic).

Old 09-05-15, 05:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 130 Votes on 116 Posts
Did you send the property manager those pics? Ideally they'd send him back to fix it! Not sure I'd want to retain the services of a worker that doesn't care about doing a job any better than that.

Old 09-05-15, 05:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
It also looks like he used a sanded grout when clearly he should have used an unsanded variety.

Tell them you would like it corrected and properly sealed as well.

Old 09-06-15, 07:51 PM
I agree, it's a bad repair. Following up to what "Z" said; Those tiles appear to be cheapo 4.25" soft bisque ceramic with small grout joints which require unsanded grout. Even a handyman in a hurry should have done much better than this.

I'm very concerned how the other part of the repair was done.

Jaz

Old 09-08-15, 01:14 PM
Apparently he used a "grout and cement mix".

Old 09-09-15, 12:11 AM
The tile was fine -- the leak was in the drain. I'm not really sure why he felt he needed to redo the grout.

And yes, this is a perfect example of why you should be careful who you get to do work in your home! Husband and I live on a managed property so this was the staff maintenance guy. Glad this didn't happen to property we actually owned.

Old 09-09-15, 04:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Show us more of what he did near the drain. It the shower floor tile or a fiberglass/acrylic unit. Can we get a picture of what you have?