using tile mat products

Old 09-09-15, 05:34 PM
mik
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
using tile mat products

Mortarless products have been around now for enough years so I'm asking if anyone here can comment on their durability and longevity? Home Depot sells SimpleMat; Lowes sells Musclebound and there are many other choices. I want to line the shower walls with tile and also put in tile as a backsplash in the kitchen, 2 areas of constantly high humidity. Can anyone tell me if they've used these adhesive mat products in these areas instead of mortar or thinset and has the integrity of the product lasted? Any recommendations? Any warnings?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-15, 05:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I can recommend the Simplemat for the backsplash, although it is unforgiving. I don't use it that much, but have had an occasion on a smaller job. Set your tile where you want it, 'cause it won't come back off for you to adjust it. Strong.
Which brings us to the shower. Definitely no. You should use conventional concrete backer underlayment properly installed, thinset and tile. Humidity is one thing, pure water is another.

Old 09-10-15, 09:00 AM
mik
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Chandler,
I had my reservations about cutting corners by using this product (shortcuts always come back to bite ya) and so thanks for confirming