Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

12 x 24 ceramic floor tile after install question tile gives a little it feels..

12 x 24 ceramic floor tile after install question tile gives a little it feels..

Old 10-01-15, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Ok so i just had someone install floor tiles in my kitchen looks great, some corners feel a bit raised then others, but not anything crazy noticeable (its is the cheapest 12x24 tiles from homedepot so i know there will be variances). The issue or maybe its mental is i feel like sometimes if i walk bear foot on the corners that ar slightly raised i feel like it maybe moving, but i dont see any cracking, also i tried to push it with my hand, but it doesn't budge. It maybe all in my head and being paranoid, but i was just a bit worried. The floor underneath is a cement slab. I find myself worried to walk on it im not fat, but i do weigh 220 lbs. And again it maybe that im actively trying to feel for movement so in my head i feel like it is... anything for me to test or check to make sure the install is good besides to looking from above and that it looks nice.

anyways here is a pic of the floorName:  IMG_2685.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  27.5 KB

would appreciate any advice thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-15, 10:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
I'd have some friends over and see if any of them notice anything.

Old 10-01-15, 10:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 198 Votes on 183 Posts
Get a length of wooden dowel or small/medium sized hammer with a wooden handle or even a block of wood. If using the hammer or dowel hole it vertically (do NOT hit the floor with the metal hammer head) and gently tap on the tile in various places. You just want to tap hard enough to make a sound, your not trying to hammer or bash anything. Tile that is adhered and supported by thinset will have a different sound than if there is a hollow void under the tile. If the hollow sound coincides with where you think you feel the movement then you might be right.