Tiling front of fireplace

Old 10-04-15, 02:05 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question Tiling front of fireplace

I am working on some plans for tiling the front of a fireplace and want to use Schluter Edging system on the front of the hearth. In an effort to keep to my budget, I'm considering not using the 'corner' pieces by Schluter. (Each corner piece costs as much as one 8 foot edge piece.)

I'm wondering if i couldn't just make a couple of 45 deg angles and fit the schluter edging together like a picture frame. Anyone have any experience with this as to whether this would look good?

Old 10-04-15, 02:18 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I assume you are talking about an outside corner like that of a picture frame and not an outside corner like you would be going around from one wall to another wall. If like picture frame, yes, it will look fine. I cut mine on a wet say with diamond blade for a smooth cut. Go slowly on your pass and you will be a nice mitered corner.

Old 10-04-15, 03:28 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Just to be clear, I'm talking a bout cutting the Schluter Edging. I was planning on using a hacksaw, and don't understand the need for a wetsaw. (Schluter edging is metal.)
Name:  9889309f-9286-475d-b323-5ec80c652ed6_1000[1].jpg
Views: 126
Size:  17.2 KB

Old 10-04-15, 04:10 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Just to be clear, I'm talking a bout cutting the Schluter Edging. I was planning on using a hacksaw, and don't understand the need for a wetsaw. (Schluter edging is metal.)
Yes, I know exactly what you are referring to, I've probably installed enough to run the length of a football field several times and I've got several pieces in my shed waiting for my next tile job. Wet saw + speed square = nice mitered corner. If you want your corner to look nice and professional, a hack saw isn't going to cut it. Well, it will cut it just not well enough and at a perfect 45 degree angle. You can also use a miter saw, just cut really slow. The aluminum is a very soft metal, both these will work well. I assumed you had a wet saw to cut the tile. That profile is roundec which has more profile and will need even more precision than a standard A100 profile.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: