Flattening and leveling wood floor for tile

Old 10-05-15, 02:14 PM
T
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Flattening and leveling wood floor for tile

In an area of a plywood floor there is a hump. If I add about 3/16 - 1/4" on one side of this area I can get the floor flat and level. This hump is due to amateur carpenter work. Can I apply a bonding agent to the plywood and some kind of mortar to flatten and level the floor then when it is set can I install Hardie backer. Board or cement board and tile?
I know how to make a wall straight and flat. What I don't know is how to do it on a floor but I think I can get that part right. What I really don't know is whaT material to use to get the desired flatness. This will be the thickness I mentioned then will taper down to nothing in about two feet. Will someone help? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-15, 02:56 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 64 Posts
Sorry, not sure I understand - you say 'hump' but then talk about adding material to make it level, which makes me think it's a dip.

Old 10-07-15, 07:45 PM
T
Plywood is high on ne part and low on he other. High part is a hump. If I fill the low side I can make it both flat and level.

And suppose it were a dip? What should I fill with to get t flat and level?

Old 10-08-15, 03:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 178 Votes on 158 Posts
Do you know what went wrong with the carpentry that caused the hump? Is this the only layer of plywood? Is it nailed or screwed down?

I would think you could build up under the cement board to level it out but don't know for sure BUT the tile guys will be along later with good info for you

Old 10-08-15, 05:12 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Put down your cement backer board in a bed of mortar first. You can then prime and level the cement board in advance of the tile. Most any self leveling compound can be used, however, if the dip is severe, make sure the compound you choose can be poured to the depth you desire. For planning purposes, self leveling primer takes around 2 hours to dry and must have leveling compound poured onto it the same day. If it sits overnight, you must apply again. Self leveling compound sets up fairly fast so work at a decent pace. You can tile directly on top of the compound. Sometimes the edges don't want to feather out, you can then use a cement compound like speedfiish by CBP found at big orange.

Custom Building Products SpeedFinish 10 lb. Patching and Finishing Compound-SF10 - The Home Depot

Old 10-10-15, 01:32 PM
T
Okay, flat and level. I can't put a quarter between the four foot level and th floor anywhere. Maybe I can slip a dime in somewhere. Ready to tile.