Tiled shower pan more likely to leak?

Old 10-12-15, 07:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tiled shower pan more likely to leak?

We had our heart set on having a pebble tiled shower floor.

I had a contractor come to bid on the job and he recommended against doing this in the upstairs bathroom. He said he gets a lot of calls to fix leaks from these types of shower floors. He recommended a standard pan or a custom onyx pan.

he described that because it's an upstairs bathroom the floor shifts and squeaks and over time the drain ring comes loose and just a little bit would be enough to leak.

perhaps those calls he got are from sloppy jobs?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-15, 07:52 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I agree that a shower pan would be more leak proof than tile. It also makes sense that the second floor may shift. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't order what you like.

Old 10-12-15, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
This isn't my forum but just thinking out loud. Couldn't you put a pebbled tiled floor in a shower pan ?

Old 10-12-15, 08:31 PM
Old 10-12-15, 08:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
Pretty cool. That answers my question. A shower pan would have to much flex to keep something like that from cracking.

Old 10-13-15, 04:15 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
A properly installed tiled shower pan has no better chance of leaking than a traditional shower pre-formed base. In my experience, those that leak were either installed incorrectly, or the leak came from somewhere else. Notorious leak areas are from corners inside the shower that were grouted instead of caulked, and around the curb of the shower. Other mistakes are not installing a pre-slope so that the pan liner drains to the drain body.

In my opinion, if you want your pebble shower floor, interview more installers. Obviously, the guy you talked too has a skill set that leans toward the "lets do this the easy way" as opposed to the "I take pride in my craft way". Find someone not afraid to do the job correctly.

Working with the pebbles is an experience in and of itself. It will cost more than a tiled base as it has a lot more pieces and sometimes they fight you trying to stick them down. There also is a lot more grout for you to maintain down the road, make sure you use a good sealer and keep on top of it.