Advice on laying heated floor

Old 10-13-15, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice on laying heated floor

I'm about to lay down an electric heated floor system under my tile. I have a nice flat base of backer board and normally I would go right ahead and start tiling but this is the first heated floor system I've put in. I understand the steps consist of arranging the wires around the floor and then securing them in a 1/4" a 1/2" layer of mortar which the tile is then laid on. My concern is that my nice flat, even base will be no more the second I try to freehand a mortar base across the floor to contain the hearing wires.

Any advice on how to best approach this?

Last edited by jlcalbre; 10-13-15 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Typos
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-15, 05:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Once you verify the functionality of the wires, embed them in self leveling compound. Granted it is not goof free, and you do need to work the compound, your chances of success are much better than free handing mortar.

Old 10-13-15, 05:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Forgot to mention that there is a primer stage to self leveling compound that is important to overall adhesion.

Old 10-14-15, 06:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I considered that before I put htebacker board down but from what I read, it didn't seem to be a good option on plywood. So it's OK to lay down on top of Hardibacker?

Two follow ups

1) i think I could do a decent mortar bed by using some strips of backer board as guide to level off the mortar. But, I don;t htink I could do this in one "pour" which means there would be joints. Would that be OK as long as I tape them, just like backerboard?

2) Can the self leveling compound be done in multiple pours (also creating joints) or does it need to be done all at once? Just want to know if I need to set aside plenty of time to do it all at once or if I can do sections of it over the course of a couple of days.

Thanks for the help.

Old 10-14-15, 01:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Limitations on the SLC are that the primer needs to be used right away after it dries (2 hrs). If you let it set overnight to do a second pour, you have to re-prime (2 hrs) and then pour again.

You want your base to be as solid as possible, doing strips of backer to use as screed boards will create fault lines within the base that may of may not have an affect on the structural rigidity of the tile base.