Drilling Through Tile

Old 10-14-15, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drilling Through Tile

I'm installing some shower curtain rods and grab bars in two different showers. I've already drilled the 1/4" holes for the 1/4" metal anchors but the anchors are still slightly too big for the holes. If use the next bit size up, 5/16", the holes will be too big for the anchors. Any suggestions as to what I can do to get the anchors to fit and also nice and snug?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-15, 02:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
What metal anchors are you using? If anchors are needed, or plugs for that matter, I always use plastic ones. I put them in as far as they will go and then use a sharp chisel or utility blade to shave off the ring around the fat part so the piece I am installing lays flat.

Big, side note, on grab bars. They need to be installed into studs. They can not just be mounted on tile. They need to be able to support several hundred pounds. The easiest place to install them in a tub situation is along the service end of the tub/shower, near or above the tub edge or slightly outside in a vertical orientation. There usually are studs located in that area. Or use a stud finder to locate studs in the drywall above the tile and transfer the measurements down to the area you want the grab bar to be located.

Old 10-19-15, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I just took a pic, wish I could attach it to this thread. I'm using the metal anchors that came with the Moen shower curtain rod. These metal anchors are listed as 1/4" but they're just barely too big for the 1/4" holes drilled into the tile.

Thanks for the info about the grab bars.