Spacing between granite floor tiles

Old 04-07-01, 07:21 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hello everyone,
I am about to install 12"x12" granite floor tiles on my bathroom floor. The floor is already prepped with the mortar base. I have the tile. It seems I have seen a floor done without spacing for grout, or a very small space. Does anyone have experience with a stone tile floor without grout spacing. If so, what is used for the crack between the tiles? I have read different questions on this site about grout, and wondered if I should use epoxy grout. If I use sanded grout will it scratch my tiles upon installation? Today is 4/7/01. I don't suppose I could get an anwswer soon? Curt

Old 04-07-01, 02:23 PM
Visiting Guest
You have to leave a bit of room for grout..1/16 to 1/8th..I'd go with 1/8..since it gives you a bit of room for error...you don't need epoxy..an un-sanded grout will give you a nice smooth joint, though sanded won't scratch your granite. It sounds like this is your first installation job...you're a brave man starting with granite...hope you have a wet saw. Good Luck!

Old 04-08-01, 03:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks adanac. Sometimes thinking a lot about a project just adds confusion. I'll go with the small space between the tiles. Yes, I purchased a factory reconditioned MK370 tub saw. It cost about 1/2 of a new one. With the labor I save doing it myself, I am able to buy some decent tools.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: