Seal leak in shower

Old 10-19-15, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Seal leak in shower

There is a very small crack in the grout my tiled shower where the wall meets the floor. This lets water leak on to the bathroom floor whenever someone showers. I'm trying to look up how to fix this and a lot of people are saying to remove the grout with a grout saw, file this, vacuum that. I'm not experienced, so if it would be that difficult I would just hire some one. Would it be a huge mistake to just apply some caulk around where the wall and floor meet?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-15, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
The grout is not the waterproof barrier or at least it should not be. A properly constructed shower has a membrane behind the tile that prevents any leaks should there be cracks in the tile or grout. So, if you are getting water leaking outside the shower I'd suggest something much more drastic than just removing the grout and trying to apply new grout.

Old 10-19-15, 05:02 PM
Sounds like I need a professional to tear open that area to really fix the issue. Since we cant afford that right now, do you think sealing the cracked grout would be an alright temporary solution?

Old 10-19-15, 05:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Start by sending us pictures of what you have. Like Dane said, there should be a membrane to prevent direct leaks from a crack in the grout. I suspect something else, but without a visual, I can not guide you.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 10-19-15, 07:37 PM
As the others said, the tiles and grout is not what makes a shower waterproof. A shower should be built waterproof before any tiles are installed. The source of water may not be coming from that crack, might be from the curb area. Hard to say without knowing how the shower was built.

It matters whether you're on a slab or over a basement or crawl space too. Since you're in the left coast you may also have a tar hot-mop type membrane which differs from the rest of the country.

I gonna post a sketch of a typical old method shower base is supposed to be done for your info.

Name:  mortarbed shower base.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  42.3 KB

Jaz

Last edited by PJmax; 10-19-15 at 09:38 PM. Reason: expanded/enhanced diagram
Old 10-19-15, 08:55 PM
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Main reason may be because it never should have been grouted in the first place.
Color matched silicone caulking should have been used anyplace the tile changed directions.

Old 10-20-15, 07:35 AM
Joe,

We're not talking about a cracked joint, the problem is a water leak.

Grout, caulk or nothing, makes no difference. If built right the shower pan membrane will hold shower water inside the shower where it's supposed to be. Take away the tiles, it shouldn't leak, you know that.

* thnx PJmax for making my sketch bigger.