Shower water proof

Old 11-04-15, 06:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower water proof

Are tile allow to place on vapor barrier?

Fiber board -> vapor barrier -> thinset -> tile

What would be good for water proof shower walls ? Liquid rubber or enamel paint ?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-15, 06:45 AM
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
Confusing post to me.
What do you mean by "fiber board"?
No form of fiberboard I've ever heard of should be anywhere near a shower.
It should be 1/2" cement board (tile board), a product like Red Guard as a vapor barrier then tile applied with thin set.

Old 11-04-15, 08:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 299 Votes on 273 Posts
NO! "liquid rubber" and enamal paint are not water proofers and most "fiber boards" should be nowhere near water. Visit any home center or search online for products intended for showers. Long ago there were only a few choices but in the past 10+ years many new products have come on the market intended specifically for water proofing showers. Luckily most are quicker and easier to use than the old ways. Then whichever product or method you choose will have it's own specific instructions.

Old 11-04-15, 09:28 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Kenv1!

Why don't we start with a picture of what you curently have that you want to update. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html Keep in mind pictures are uploaded one at a time and need to be scaled down to web quality.

Based on your initial question, it does sound like you need to do some homework if you want to have success. This is a great place to begin. So, give us some pictures of where we are starting and we can build from there.

Old 11-04-15, 09:40 AM
Can tile be put on top of vapor barrier using thinset?

Old 11-04-15, 01:52 PM
Kev,

We do not charge by the word at this site. How about you go into some detail and tell us which materials you'd like us to give advice about?

Jaz

Old 11-04-15, 10:18 PM
Did make a post and mentioning some board with the brand with D and got ban

Basically want to know what is the best way to waterproof shower wall

Want to put the vapor barrier in front on top of the board and install tile on top on the vapor barrier

However the vapor barrier is mostly plastic and would tile adhere to the vapor barrier ?

Or some may suggest other ways

Thank you

Old 11-05-15, 04:50 AM
One sentence posting along with the mention of a brand name will usually trip off the spam catcher, try to add more content and that will be avoided in the future.

Any tile backer board, attached to the studs and the seam mesh taped and grouted. They 2 coats of either redgard (red) or hydroban (green) can be applied. You can tile over the top of that.

You can not tile on top of a plastic vapor barrier.

Old 11-05-15, 09:50 AM
Besides liquid membranes such as Redgard & Hydroban, we have sheet membranes such as the one I like for showers, Kerdi. You can not use shower pan membranes, they are pvc which are intended for under deck mud in a traditional shower. We think surface membranes are much better.

Go snoop around here, then come back with more Q's.

Jaz

Last edited by czizzi; 11-05-15 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Sorry - No Links to personal websites
Old 11-05-15, 02:52 PM
I may have to post an OPEN LETTER soon!

Jaz

Old 11-05-15, 03:02 PM
Hey Jaz, clear your mailbox for some updates from me - Z

Old 11-05-15, 05:19 PM
I'm all ears...........

Jaz

Old 11-06-15, 01:59 AM
Yes some guide uses 2 coat of hydro ban on the backer board but the problem is those liquid are not vapor proof and on long term consideration vapor may get to the backer board

Any guy have uses this approach how is the result long term ?

Any have idea how to tile on vapor barrier ? Or are there some vapor barrier in the market allow tiling on top ? And not high price like ker di or true gaurd

Old 11-06-15, 04:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I had a customer who insisted on Red Gard on the entire shower wall. Normally we only apply it in stress areas, like nooks and seams, etc. Applying the barrier on the walls did not affect the installation of the tile. I think you may be worrying too much about moisture getting to the cbu. You should have a vapor barrier behind it on the studs anyway.

Old 11-06-15, 10:39 AM
Those liquid like hydro has a permrating of 1.375 and does not qualify for vapor barrier saying that should vapor would go through those liquid and get absorb to the board

There are some guide saying using vapor barrier behind stud and liquid on the board but some strong opinion saying this way the board in between would be sandwich and water would be there and mold would form Anyone has try this way and how is the result?