Tiling against a corner

Old 11-24-15, 09:55 AM
Tiling against a corner

How would this look best finished? I have 12x24 main tiles going vertically, and these bullnose pieces for the side. The way the wall is exposing the drywall and cement board. Just finish off the cement board edge with some type of mud and paint it with the wall? Or one of those metal corner edges? They don't make edge pieces for this tile.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-15, 10:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 9
Couple of schools of thought here.

First is to finish the corner with a traditional corner bead that has a small strip of drywall (2") on what would be the cement board side of your corner. You then end the bullnose tile close to the edge and run a bead of caulk to close it to the wall.

Secondly, you can marry two bullnose tils and turn the corner with the second one so that it wraps around the corner and finishes on the drywall side of the corner. Here is a tub I did that represents this techineque.

Name:  photo46.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  25.3 KB

Old 11-24-15, 10:23 AM
I vote for the second solution.

Old 11-24-15, 10:34 AM
Cool, that looks good. It's always something more simple than expected, well not always. I think I'll do a second piece of bullnose on the side. Thanks!

Old 11-24-15, 10:49 AM
On the subject of tile. I noticed my cement board install isn't 100% flat. I tried adjusting and adding sister studs (old home issues) so any slight variances I figured when I tape and mud my joints and corners I can add a little mud to any dips/ highs making it more flat?

Old 11-24-15, 12:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 9
The easiest time to correct out of aligned walls is before the cement board goes up. You add sistered studs and make it as flat as possible. When tiling walls, the more thinset you put on, the more sag and movement in the tile you will have to deal with. Adjusting for a small dip is one thing, if the wall waves substantially, you want to correct in a more efficient way.

I also noticed that some of the screws used to hang the cement board have been over driven and sunk below the surface of the cement board. These may contribute to your wave. First, they should be Durock screws that you are using and not deck screws or even drywall screws. I hang he cement board using 1 1/2" galvanized roofing nails first, then return after and screw things off and an extra layer of support.

Old 11-24-15, 01:47 PM
I added sister studs for one of the walls, I thought the others were ok, but now they're looking funky in some spots, I may have to take the cement board off and redo the studs or shim some spots.

Some of the screws may have gone in too deep at some spots, it's 1 5/8" durock cement board screws. The only decking screws I used was for the washers to hold the lip of the bottom of the tub.