Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Tiles don't seem to be adhering to the walls. Have I used the wrong thinset?

Old 12-27-15, 01:22 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I had a couple mistakes on aligning two large pieces of tile (12 x 24"). Its been a little over a week, so I decided to just take a tile hammer and bust out the tile. Amazingly, I was able to remove the tile rather easily with no damage to the tile. In fact, I touched the thinset after removing the tile and it was still moist! It hadn't hardened well at all, even after more than a week of curing time.

What have I done wrong? The only thing I can think of is that I must have used the wrong type of thinset. Also, I have already painted a full layer of Redgard waterproof membrane on the wall. Could I be that the Redgard is somehow preventing the mortar from solidifying?

Old 12-27-15, 03:42 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I assume you used ready mix mastic that came from a tub instead of a powder. The fact that the material can sit for years on the shelf without drying out tells you that if you put it on a watertight wall (with redgard) and a watertight tile, that it would never dry out. Further as you said this is on walls, is that if this is in a wet location then you need to know that mastic is never rated for use in wet locations like a shower. Thinset comes in powder form and is mixed to order.

Old 12-27-15, 07:21 PM
T
Oh no! That's a bummer.

I am getting ready to tile the shower walls and got a tub of this product.

I used it for the wall base and it's holding fine. But I realize that a wet shower area is an entirely different matter.

Curious to know exactly what product tonic used.

Old 12-27-15, 09:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Votes on 218 Posts
This is what you should have used: Thin Set Mortars | Custom Building Products

Old 12-28-15, 08:52 AM
T
And that's exactly what I will use, since I am yet to start tiling the wall.
Thanks for the tip.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: