Where tile meets shower base

Old 12-28-15, 08:35 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where tile meets shower base

Hi all,
Please see the attached image where you can see a part of the corner seat in the new base I have installed. Also attached is a schematic attempt at describing by questions.

I have used Wedi board as the substrate and according to some recommendations, I have made a rabbit cut on the board that helps it slide over the shower base flange about 1/2 inch. This junction is sealed with the Wedi sealant.

Now, the tile itself can hang over the board about 1/2 inch before it touches the shower base.

1) Should I caulk the gap behind the tile (between the tile and the shower flange)?
2.a) What gap should I leave below the tile (between the tile and shower base)
2.b) Should I caulk the gap between the tile and the shower base below?

Thanks
TboneName:  Base Flange Gap.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  12.9 KBName:  Tile Base Gap Schematic.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  16.1 KB

Old 12-28-15, 03:04 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Caulk gap labeled as #2 in your diagram. Use a color matching caulking that is made by the same manufacturer of the grout you will use in the shower. The caulk will come in both sanded and unsanded. I would recommend unsanded in the case of wall tile in a shower. Use the same caulk in the inside corners of the shower where the two tile walls meet.

Old 12-28-15, 04:33 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Czizzi. I'll follow your instructions.

It is a bit counter intuitive not caulk gap #1, but there must be a reason for it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: