New Subway Tile - Ragged Edges

Old 01-06-16, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question New Subway Tile - Ragged Edges

My daughter had subway tile installed around her bathroom tub. I am noticing a lot of the cut tiles have a ragged looking edge. It is only noticeable to me a few inches away. Standing back a foot or two, it is not so noticeable.

Could this be due to the installer using a dull cutting blade? Or could it be due to them using budget price tile (American Olean)? The tiler used a wet saw to cut the tiles, and I'm disappointed they did not come out with clean, perfect cuts.

She plans to do another bathroom in the future, and it would be good to have an idea of the cause before the next remodel.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-16, 02:23 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I don't know about a dull blade. I would say maybe the wrong or cheap blade. IRC, the more teeth the better the cut.

Old 01-06-16, 03:04 PM
Teeth....what teeth? Tile blades don't have teeth.

I can't judge the cuts without seeing them. But, tilework is not judged by looking at it from a few inches away, or even a foot or two. There could be several reasons. Straight cuts do not r4quire a saw, a tile cutter is the way it's done and results vary as with a saw.

Jaz

Old 01-06-16, 03:27 PM
Temporarily Suspended
No teeth? What about dentures? That shows you how much tile work I do.

Old 01-06-16, 04:07 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
If the blade does not go through the tile perfectly straight, it drags on the back side of the blade and causes a minor chip out which looks like a jagged edge. I usually make sure if there is a drag, that it drags on the scrap side of the cut. A cheap blade also can cause chunking of the cut.