Will tile stick to paint?

Old 01-13-16, 02:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Will tile stick to paint?

Will tile stick to paint? I am asking this because I am helping a friend with an old kitchen that he wants to put a tile backsplash on. There is no backsplash, just drywall that has been painted over. So, I am wondering if tile will stick to the paint or if I should try to do something to remove or prepare the paint prior to tiling.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-16, 02:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
In the case of a backsplash, yes, you can get tile to stick to paint. I would keep the format small and stay away from large format tile. If using glass or metal in a mosaic, you want to use glass thinset mortar. A modified thinset will work fine for regular tile. Keep in mind that you will have to add box extensions to your electrical boxes.

Old 01-13-16, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 134 Posts
I would make sure the paint is adhered well. If it's an old house I'd check by sticking some duct tape to the painted wall and pull the tape off to see if the paint stays or if it bubbles or gets pulled off.

Old 01-15-16, 07:45 AM
Uh oh. The tile being used actually is a large format tile of about 12 x 24". I'm wondering... Do you think I should try to use some paint remover on the walls?

Old 01-15-16, 09:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 70 Posts
Paint remove rarely works well on walls! I doubt I'd do more than sand the walls with 80 grit - that will remove any loose paint [not saying there is any] along with giving the thinset a tooth to adhere to.

Old 01-15-16, 09:23 AM
I would be more concerned with cleaning the surface than the paint itself. Most likely in a kitchen there will be at least some greasy residue in places. Clean the wall with TSP, make sure nothing is lose or flaking and you should be good to go. If the paint is a high gloss, I would definitely hit it with some rough sandpaper first to scuff it up. Other than that, you should not have an issue.

With a large tile like 12"x24" you need to make sure the wall if very flat to avoid lippage.

Old 01-15-16, 01:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I personally don't get the current trend with Large format tile. How is a tile that big going to look good in an 18" high space? How do you plan on addressing electrical needs when the outlets and switches may not line up as you would like? Most back splashes are 6x6 or smaller tile with mosaics interspersed or complete mosaic walls. As Keith mentioned, hope that a stud is not out of line or you are in trouble.