Grouting/re-grouting/freshening-up tiles

Old 01-17-16, 01:14 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grouting/re-grouting/freshening-up tiles

Hi all,

I'm about to sell my house and, whilst the tiling in the bathroom still looks good, some of the grout is a bit discoloured from its original white colour.
Instead of digging out all of the grout from the gaps between the tiles, is there anything else that can be done? Would a thin "skim" of grout, onto of the current grout do the trick? As I said, the tiles still look brand new, so it's just the grout that needs freshening-up, to bring it back to life.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rak.

Last edited by RakeshS; 01-17-16 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-17-16, 01:33 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
They sell white grout pens in the box stores. Basically like painting on white out. Take your time, paint all the grout lines and white with a cloth immediately after you make a pass. It should brighten things up for you.

Old 01-17-16, 02:52 PM
R
Great! That sounds like exactly what I want. I only have 2mm grout lines, so I home there won't be a lot of overlap onto the tiles themselves.

Old 01-18-16, 02:22 AM
R
Hey Czizzi,
I've been looking into these grout pens but the reviews on them vary wildly. Some complain of the nibs lasting just a metre or two, and others about the actual application. Can you recommend a particular brand?
The grout on my tiles is pretty smooth, so I hope this will help with the nibs lasting a little longer.

Thanks for your help so far.

Old 01-18-16, 03:57 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
It does take some getting used to. People assume all you have to do is paint and go. The trick is to do it all in one procedure, not to spread it out over a day or two. The pen is basically a reservoir with paint and a spring loaded tip (nib) that you depress an 1/8" to get the paint to flow. Now, liquids flow down hill, and working on tile, you will have the pen horizontal, so no paint will flow - follow? What I do is have a small hard piece of scrap plastic kind of like a painters palette that I hold in my left hand. The pen is in my right hand and I have a loose rag also in my left hand. I dab the pen on the hard plastic until paint flows and starts to make a small puddle, I then paint the gout line. I go back to the palette, get more paint and hit another grout line -then wipe across with the rag to get the stuff that is on the tile outside of the grout itself. Like any job, in involves patience so come up with a sequence so you don't miss any spots, and stop reading reviews from people that don't know what they are doing. All the reviews are right here for the asking! Good luck on your project.

Old 01-18-16, 04:10 AM
B
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Take a look at TEC (and other manufacturers) grout colorants. It's a liquid that comes in bottles and is installed with an artist's brush or a small foam brush. Then the excess on the tile edges is cleaned off with a nylon scrub pad. I used it once on a kitchen floor I did for a friend. She decided she didn't like the color, so we changed it and it still looks good after 3 years. I believe the colorant could only be used with non-porous tile.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: