Easy way to remove wall tile ?

Old 01-23-16, 03:05 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Easy way to remove wall tile ?

We have a seldom used bathroom which has a leaky shower. The tiles around the valves are cemented on. I want to replace at least one and perhaps two of the valves. Using my dremel I have removed the grout. Is there something I can douse the wall with that will allow me to pop the 4X4 tiles off the wall - or do I need to just break the tiles and hope I can find replacements ? Thanks.

Old 01-23-16, 03:17 PM
K
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Do you know what the surface behind the tiles are? Drywall? Cement board? If drywall, you may be able to very gently pry it off. It will probably take the surface paper of the drywall with it, which will need to be repaired before re installing tiles. If you plan you try and reuse the old tiles, you will also need to remove all the stuff on the back of the tile as well.

There is still a wide variety of 4x4 tiles made today, so you may be able to still find them.

Old 01-23-16, 03:25 PM
L
There is no such thing as drywall where we live. Everything is brick and cement. Walls are generally a foot thick - eight inches of brick and perhaps 2-4 inches of cement on each side. Maybe you would call the tiles in our house rustic of something. They aren't what you would see in a Home Depot in the States. Actually they are like orange tiles which are painted various colors. But I do think I can find a source for replacements so perhaps I can just break them off the wall. Thanks

Old 01-23-16, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you are trying to break tile off a wall that won't give, you can only try to break the tile off in one piece. Here's a few tips:
Cutting out the grout is a good first step, less holding power.
Get to one accessible edge, no adjacent tiles, and gently tap in a sharp chisel.
Don't force the chisel to lift the tile, tap it in and wait a bit for tile to adjust, tap again.
You will know by feel or sound if the tile will come off clean.

Old 01-23-16, 04:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
If you break them when removing them you can change four in a square to an offsetting color. You said your tiles were orange..... so make the four replacements brown or white.

Old 01-23-16, 04:46 PM
L
Thanks - I didn't state things well. The tiles are really 'earthen'. Like hardened brown mud. (We have a very nice house believe me). The tiles are then painted with a glossy beige paint. My initial point in posting was if there was something I could really douse the tiles with which would save me breaking the tiles.

Old 01-23-16, 04:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
No.... there is nothing you can douse them with. Your only hope is the thin set or mud behind them releases which is not very likely on a masonry wall.

Old 01-23-16, 04:58 PM
There's no liquid that will help release the bond, you have to get lucky.
Sounds like clay tiles, very popular here in SoCal. I would not plan on getting the tiles off in one piece. The clay is porous and adheres well.

Got in late, advice is often echoed for good reason

Old 01-23-16, 05:25 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Chances of you getting any tile off clean are zero. Sorry, not going to happen. Best you could hope for is the remove grout, which releases the bond with adjacent tile so that when you chip out the tile around the valve, you don't damage the tiles beyond the grout removal.

Are you completely re-doing the supply valves or what?

Old 01-24-16, 08:44 AM
L
Yes - I need to replace at least one of the valves. It's cooper innards have broken down with time. With the water supply turned on to the room there is a perpetual leak at the shower head.

Old 01-24-16, 08:53 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Shoot us a picture or two following the above link. Keep in mind that photos should be scaled down to web quality and are uploaded one at a time. We will do the best we can, however this is primarily a North American website, so there may be limitations. Where are you located?

Old 01-24-16, 01:12 PM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Sadly, as others have said, it's unlikely you will get any tiles off without breaking them, especially if the original tile job was done properly. And once the tiles come off in pieces, you will be extraordinarily lucky if you find matching tiles.

Here's my opinion. Your best bet is to find new tiles that contrast with what you have and make it a feature like it was originally designed that way. I had your exact problem on a tub surround. I couldn't find a new grey tile to match the existing tile, so I contrasted it with a black feature strip. The back wall of my tub surround is a mirror image of the faucet wall you see. <Now to see if I can insert the picture!> Name:  Tub.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  17.8 KB

Old 01-24-16, 01:40 PM
L
Thank you all. this is a 'never' used bathroom for the two of us. It is a guest bathroom near the pool. And while we have had guests they have never come for swimming. I have been told that it should not be hard to find replacement tiles. Once I do, I will break as few tiles off the wall as I need - apparently.

Old 01-24-16, 01:52 PM
You should be OK, you can always post back when time to set the replacement tiles.

Any chance of hanging out by the pool?

Old 01-24-16, 02:01 PM
L
Do you frequent Cuernavaca Mexico ?

Old 01-24-16, 02:11 PM
No. But it doesn't sound half bad.
Being in Mexico, I don't think finding matching tile will be a problem. I regard the tile makers there as artists and I'm sure they can accommodate you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: