Pouring epoxy over tile?

Old 01-23-16, 03:17 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pouring epoxy over tile?

Hello,

I have a home built in 1959 that has a basement with original tile in it that might have asbestos. I was curious if I could pour a concrete level compound or perhaps an epoxy or polyurethane surface to completely cover up the tile? If so which products would you suggest? I had an indoor/outdoor carpet down there over the tile but wasn't a huge fan.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-16, 03:35 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The asbestos isn't a danger, if no one disturbs the tiles. If you want to cover the tiles for other reasons, that's a different story. I would probably use self stick tiles over the existing tiles. It's the most economical way to go. Unlike carpet, the maintenance is much easier.

Old 01-23-16, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,104 Votes on 1,024 Posts
One point would be.....are the tiles well attached to the cement floor. You wouldn't want to attach something to them and have them start to come loose.

Old 01-23-16, 05:29 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Usually the loose tiles are removed, the void skim coated and a floor covering is installed over the top. Epoxy would be a permanent solution but as Pete said, would be wholly dependent on the bond of the other floor tiles.

Old 01-24-16, 06:55 AM
B
The tiles that were loose have already been removed prior to me. I can remove the tile safely if the come up in one piece correct? What about the glue on the floor?

I considered laying cement backer board down over the tile and tiling however drilling into the concrete would be a ton of work for every screw I'd need for the area.

Old 01-24-16, 07:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You don't want to drill through the tile, as that fragments the asbestos and causes it to become airborne, which is what you want to avoid. CBU is not really called for on a concrete floor. Have you considered removing the tile, leaving the cut back glue and installing ceramic tile?? Not the norm, but it can be done.

Old 01-24-16, 07:41 AM
B
I have considered that. So just remove the tile and spread a tile mortar down over the old dry glue to stick the ceramic to? What other types of flooring besides carpet, ceramic tile, or vinyl stick tiles/vinyl floating (allure) would you recommend?

Old 01-24-16, 07:53 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I like rubberized flooring. Go to images.google.com
Google it there.

Old 01-24-16, 12:53 PM
B
That rubberized flooring is interesting. Must be the stuff they lay in gyms. Any idea how that stuff would handle water if a basement had some in it? Rubber wouldn't mold right? I've only had water in my basement once over the past 20 years so I don't think my basement is prone to it.

Old 01-24-16, 12:58 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Water isn't going to hurt the rubber. It's totally maintenance free. Sweep & mop, are all that's needed. There is only one problem with it & that's if you have a wife, she won't want it.

Old 01-24-16, 01:20 PM
B
I can probably convince her since we have gym equipment and soon two toddlers. So a play room the basement will become. There is a small bedroom and bathroom but I could lay something different in there.

This looks like good stuff.
http://www.rubberflooringinc.com/rubber-roll/index.html?sl=1005&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+Rubber+Flooring+-+US&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=sTadVIHoV_pcrid_76260212345_pkw__pmt__pdv_m_pprd_1005&gclid=CMyA9sKww8oCFYGDaQodScUMHw

Last edited by blobula; 01-24-16 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Adding link