Ditra and Ditra Set questions

Old 02-26-16, 07:15 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ditra and Ditra Set questions

I hired a contractor to lay 1000 sq ft of tile in my basement. I specified that he use Ditra & Ditra Set. After laying, he rolled the Ditra with a heavy steel roller assembly. In the rolling process excess Ditra Set came out at the joint lines and filled some of the squares. Will the excess Ditra Set affect the bonding of tile?

Old 02-28-16, 07:28 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hi,

It shouldn't be a problem at all. He may have applied too much in the first place, but I have no way to know that. It's interesting that the contractor rolled Ditra like that. He must also be a sheet vinyl installer. Do you know which specific trowel he used? If the roller wasn't too heavy, it may be a good way to avoid air pockets. Filling some (or even all) the squares does not create a bonding problem. I think you're good.

Jaz

Old 02-29-16, 03:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Jaz, elaborate on the use of Ditra on concrete. Is it absolutely necessary, or is it overkill? Curious.

Old 02-29-16, 09:25 PM
J
Chandler,

Using Ditra on concrete is beneficial, but most people won't do it because of the added cost. It can save from several types of failures, but it's a hard sell to most clients, especially when bidding against contractors that in most cases haven't even heard of Ditra or bad-mouth it to get the job. Ditra installed can add $2 to 2.75, (or more) in the US if it's a large area, and $3-4 in Canada.

Ask anyone who had a failure and they'l say they would have spent the money if they knew then what they know now. Too late.

Benefits; it's an uncoupling membrane so in-plane cracks do not crack the tiles and can prevent delaminating. It equalizes excess moisture in the floor. Over a wood subfloor it can be installed so it'l make the floor waterproof. It's a premium method over wood as an alternative to concrete backer board. Easier, thinner, lighter, faster, but more $$$.

Jaz

Old 03-01-16, 03:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Thanks. I guess it would be more beneficial in seismic regions, huh?

Old 03-01-16, 07:56 PM
J
No, not at all Chandler. Whether the concrete floor shrinks .010" or double that, the tiles will crack or shear from the stress. We see failures over concrete all the time.

Jaz

Old 03-03-16, 04:18 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I didn't believe there was a problem however this was a first Ditra install on concrete for this contractor. He did a lot of research online before the installation. I have an upscale home and would rather spend money upfront than to have problems later.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: