Granite saddle

Old 04-01-16, 06:08 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Granite saddle

The floor is titled and I'm putting in the saddle now.Wife decided to use granite that we used for counter top. Saddle will be going over3/4 to 1 in by 3 in oak flooring,with ply wood under it. House is about 40 years old. How thick or thin should the thin set be to support the granite saddle. Top of saddle is even with title before I put in any thin set.

Old 04-01-16, 08:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 785 Votes on 722 Posts
What is a saddle? Are you referring to a transition strip between different flooring materials? If it is then granite or tile should not be set on wood. Wood offers poor adhesion to masonry products like thinset. There should be an appropriate material underneath like concrete, cement board or Hardie Backer if you want to use thinset. If you want to stick granite to wood I would use a construction adhesive.

Old 04-01-16, 08:47 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Use your normal trowel 1/4" x 1/4" notch. Back butter the stone and place onto the floor. Hopefully the bond over the strip hardwood is small. Use an appropriate colored thinset so that you don't get any bleed through (more important with marble, but be cautious).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: