Patching concrete hole in bathroom floor

Old 04-25-16, 12:17 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patching concrete hole in bathroom floor

Hey guys,

I am helping my mom with her 1916 rental property (there are 2 flats). We wanted to restore the hexagonal tile floor in the bathroom. But, there is a hole in the floor exposing concrete. I heard I should use Levelquik to help level the floor. I guess I'm nervous about over filling the hole.😕 I found some hexagonal tile to match the tile that's already on the floor. How do I repair this?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-16, 05:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
I would thoroughly clean the hole. I have never heard of Levelquick but I woud use a product intended to patch concrete. Most usually have additives to help them adhere and are made to be strong and crack resistant when applied in shallow holes.

Yes, over filling the hole would be bad. But if you get a straight stick like a pain stirrer and cut it to length so it will fit between the tiles you can use it to level the surface and scrape off any excess.

Old 04-25-16, 05:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Don't know if it is right or not but I've been on jobs where they packed the hole with fairly dry mix of thinset and then tiled over it.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 04-25-16, 05:55 AM
T
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
There are several products on the market (including Levelquick) that provide a self leveling underlayer and I'm fine with using them - especially for a small project like yours. However, don't assume any product will take the place of care and effort. Leveling products allow work for different time limits. Since you're not familiar with them, don't select a fast-setting product. Also, consider using a small amount to practice once before doing your project.

I would remove additional tiles to the point you can make certain everything's level at the edges. Also, do it in stages if the hole is greater than 1/2" deep.

Old 04-25-16, 11:00 AM
E
Thank you guys so much!...and thank you for the welcome I might have more questions later

Old 04-25-16, 02:40 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Tap on the tiles with the back side of a screw driver to find out where all the loose tiles are. Most likely, the issues fans out further than just the loose ones. If the mud base is deteriorating, could be from movement in the slab, or too much sand in that particular area. But now is the time to remove all that sound hollow. Hopefully you have all the pieces!

I would get a self leveling compound and some self leveling primer and a cheap chip brush to apply the primer with. Allow the primer to dry at least 2 hours before pouring self leveling compound. It also is a good idea to add some chicken wire or mesh fastened to the good concrete mud bed to tie the patch in with the rest of the floor. Use masking tape to protect the surface of the tiles you are not working on and pour to slightly less than level with the under side of the existing floor. Let set up overnight before trying to re-set your hex. tiles. When ready, mix up some thinset mortar and install the tiles. Try to avoid using any Pre-mixed mastic/mortar product.

Old 04-26-16, 10:00 PM
E
Thank you czizzi I've been writing all of the advice down