Ceramic tile kitchen backsplash

Old 05-02-16, 12:10 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceramic tile kitchen backsplash

What is best to use to secure ceramic tiles to kitchen wall? Will be small size subway type tile. Have been told to use tile adhesive or thin set?

Old 05-02-16, 12:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Since it is not a wet area, you can use either thinset or mastic. I prefer thinset, but nothing is written in stone except in wet areas, like showers. You can also use a product called SimpleMat, found in box stores. You remove one side of it and apply it to your walls, then you can expose its sticky other side and apply your tiles. Sort of like double sided tape on steroids. Custom Building Products SimpleMat 10 sq. ft. Tile Setting Mat-SM10R1 - The Home Depot

With the SimpleMat, there is no waiting between application and grouting.

Old 05-02-16, 04:05 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Will the tiles be near the range or cooktop? If so, I would use thinset and stay away from other products that would soften in the presence of heat.

Old 05-22-16, 08:13 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you want to install ceramic tile on your kitchen wall, you can use Centura Tile TA-101 adhesive product. I can say it’s a great product because my friend has used it for his kitchen backsplash. It is neat and easy to fix. I would definitely recommend this product.

Old 05-23-16, 04:03 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Marisaford1122 - If you read my last recommendation, you would see the disclaimer about if the tile is to be set near a heat source. Mastics soften in the presence of heat. The mastic you recommended is only tested to 120 degrees. As water boils at 212 degrees, it surpasses the testing strength of the mastic. If used near a stove or range, your recommendation would be ill advised. A proper thinset, mixed from a powder, would be more appropriate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: