ceramic tile over vinyl linoleum

Old 04-16-01, 08:03 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

i would like to put ceramic tile on my bathroom floor, which currently has vinyl linoleum. the linoleum is is decent shape. i have heard conflicting advice from several people - some people say to rip up the linoleum, others say that it's ok to do it over the linoleum as long as it is level and in good shape. what are the pros and cons of each? what can happen if i tile over the vinyl? i'd love to hear some information from other people who have tried one of the ways. thanks

Old 04-16-01, 12:23 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have not run into a single installer interested in quality workmanship who would suggest putting ceramic tile over vinyl linoleum. It should be removed.

John

http://www.johnbridge.com

Old 04-17-01, 07:54 AM
EDDorsey
Visiting Guest
As a DIY project, we decided to tile our kitchen, which had vinyl flooring. It wasn't too hard to remove the vinyl. The hardest part was areas where the paper backing of the vinyl stuck to the floor, which needed scraping with a 4" scraper and elbow grease. It will create a lot of dust, which has to be mopped and or wet vac'd. I have heard of using cement backer board on top of existing vinyl, (if subfloor is wood, not cement slab) then tile on top of that.

Old 04-25-01, 03:42 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

I also have had the Tile over Vinyl issue in an older home, bathroom, toilet and Entranceway..
When I began to lift the vinyl, I discovered it had asbestos backing. Because I did not have the means to remove it myself, I got several quotes $1500-$2000!!!
I contacted several Tile companies, and they all suggested KemFlex which is a 2 pack Flexible Ceramic Tile adhesive.

It is suitable for cement render, brick and block, cement sheeting, plaster board, hardboard, structual timber flooring, old tiles and painted surfaces.
The manufacturer states that the surface must be flat and level, or a fibre sheeting laid. Non permeable surfaces (eg Paint and Vinyl) should be scored to allow provide a keyed surface.

Kemflex is manufatured by Construction Chemicals in Adelaide, Australia. They have offices throughout Asia Pacific.

I have found that this product worked so well that it took me a week to get it off my hands!

A similar product I am sure would be available in the States.

Russ

Old 04-25-01, 05:21 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
G'day Russ,

There is no shortage of adhesives that will stick just about anything to just about anything. And as I understand it, there are an increasing number of tile jobs being done over vinyl. But it's simply not the best way to do it.

There are exceptions to every rule (as in your case, possibly), but I always assume that a number of people will be reading (hopefully paying attention) to what I say. So I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm only saying I won't do it.

Have you visited the InfoTile board in Australia. You'll find me lurking around there quite a bit, also.

http://www.infotile.com.au/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi

Regards,

John

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: