Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Is Quick Dry Mortar and Quick Dry Grout/Sealer okay to use on bathroom floor?

Old 06-06-16, 10:48 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We are having our one and only bathroom retiled.. correctly. It was done all wrong before we moved in.. so tiles were cracking and causing water to get in.

Well the person helping us, at first said that we would use thin set mortar (takes 12 hours til you can walk on it) and the premixed grout that doesn't need sealed (24 hours before you can walk on it lightly).

First.. I am wondering what you all think about premixed grout? I keep hearing different things and that it's not the best. Should we use a regular powder and mix it ourselves? And seal it?

Next, the guy helping us contacted us last night and suggested using quick dry mortar instead of the thinset mortar and using a quick dry grout/sealer so it would be done quicker and we wouldn't have to leave our house since we wouldn't have a restroom we could walk in for 24 hours. Well this sounds all great.. but is all of this quick dry stuff really good to use? I know sometimes quick isn't always better. And I'd rather have to go to a hotel for one night and do it the right way than do it this way as a short cut. I'm just looking for advice on what we should do? What would you use?

I also looked at a quick dry grout from tec that is 4 hour dry but says it doesn't need sealed? Is this true? has anyone worked with this?

We have to make a decision this afternoon and i've researched to death. I just hope someone can help!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-16, 11:20 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's your only bathroom so I know you're concerned about speed but in the long run, what difference is a couple nights in a hotel versus ripping out and re-doing something which failed?

As to the tile job itself, what's the flooring currently composed of in that room and, if it's not on a concrete slab, what's the size, spacing and unsupported span of the floor joists? Additionally, are you installing ceramic or porcelain tiles or a natural stone product?

Last edited by stickshift; 06-06-16 at 11:49 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-06-16, 11:41 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Mortar and grout do not "dry", they "harden" and it is by chemical action. Trying to speed up the setting time usually results in a mortar that is less strong and has less adhesion to the tiles. Same is true of the grout but also the cleaning of the excess grout from the surface of the tiles becomes even more important with a faster setting grout.

I agree with stickshift, stay in a motel for a couple of days and consider the cost as just part of the cost of the new floor.

Old 06-06-16, 11:51 AM
H
Well it was ceramic tile originally and it was put directly on the wood with nothing under it and laid with something that isn't holding. So we are doing it the right way.. adding durock? then mortar, then new ceramic tiles.

So do you suggest using the thin set mortar?

So if we do that and go to a hotel after the mortar.. Well then when he grouts.. what do you think about the tec power grout that can be walked on in 4 hours? That would be Wednesday. We could probably manage for 4 hours. Or.. which kind of grout would you recommend and sealer?

Old 06-06-16, 11:57 AM
S
Group Moderator
What thickness plywood and what else is in the floor currently? You also did not answer the questions about the joists.

I do agree adding the cement backer board is the right thing to do but we don't know yet whether you're up to a proper job.

To your questions, yes, thinset is the right adhesive for the job.

Old 06-06-16, 12:31 PM
H
I'm not sure of the thickness of the plywood that's already there. The floor that is there now.. is just a wood floor and it was ceramic tile on top of it. I'm not sure how else to answer this. We have someone helping us do it. But I was a little disturbed when he changed his mind to wanting to do the quick set mortar. We will tell him we want to use the thin set still. Oh and it's a crawl space. The guy just went under and made sure the joists are secure and solid. He did some work to add support.

What would you use for grout? Sealer? And how long does it take to harden or to be able to walk on it and use it?

He was recommending the tec power grout which is walkable in 4 hours.

Old 06-06-16, 01:05 PM
H
Or would you use something like the

Tec AccuColor Sanded Grout? Would this be better?

Old 06-06-16, 04:05 PM
J
Received 79 Votes on 74 Posts
The tile board also has to be set in a bed of thin set over the plywood.
Any floor registers you can pull out to check that sub flooring thickness?
It was common in older homes to have just 1/2" sub flooring that's never going to work.

Old 06-06-16, 07:54 PM
A
actually, the quick set is stronger than reg modified thinset because it has to be. (try to wash it off your trowel and hands after it set). I see no need for rapid set grout as the joints are slightly lower than the tile and unless your wearing stilletto heels it shouldn't get damaged

Old 06-06-16, 09:01 PM
H
Okay! Well the board is 1 inch.

We are going with the thin set mortar and using regular sand grout that he will have to mix! Then he will seal it. How long should you wait to seal it and do you recommend any certain type of sealer?

Old 06-07-16, 07:22 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Okay! Well the board is 1 inch.
The floor that is there now.. is just a wood floor and it was ceramic tile on top of it.
Are you saying that there is a hardwood floor under the tile? If so, that could be a good chunk of your problem.

Old 06-07-16, 08:15 AM
S
Group Moderator
You're not answering our questions here and I think you should - your previous tile job failed and I think it was not due to just having the tile laid on plywood. Please let us help you do this right. From one of my previous posts:

what's the flooring currently composed of in that room and, if it's not on a concrete slab, what's the size, spacing and unsupported span of the floor joists?

Old 06-07-16, 07:25 PM
H
I really thought I did answer. Our previous job did NOT fail. It's the way it was when we moved in... we didn't do it. It is NOT hard wood underneath.. It is the plywood or whatever. The base floor. It is on a crawl space.. He put down durock on top of the plywood I guess. Then thinset mortar for the ceramic tiles. We will use regular sanded grout tomorrow. Then seal it a couple of days later.

Old 06-07-16, 07:30 PM
H
I'm not actually doing it. The base floor is 1 inch. I trust this guy knows what he is doing. We were just trying to decide if quick dry grout like the tec power grout is a good idea or if we should use regular sanded grout and what kind of sealant to use.

Old 06-08-16, 08:24 AM
S
Group Moderator
I'm not implying the previous failure was your fault, but the previous job did fail was my point.