bathroom reno: grout/sealer left marks on the floor

Old 07-05-16, 11:08 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bathroom reno: grout/sealer left marks on the floor

Hi all

So, first time renovating a bathroom. We grouted really late one night a couple weeks ago, and I didnt get back to clean the 'haze' until about 24 hours later (my uncle did the first clean as he applied the grout)

I took a solution of vinegar and water and scrubbed the heck out of the floor, and it looked 'better', not perfect though.

Yesterday i applied sealer (Tilelab Surface Guard premium). I thought I followed directions, but it appears maybe not. I sprayed the tiles/grout. Used a sponge to make sure everything was 'wet'. Waited 5 minutes, then (using a different sponge) cleaned up. I even used a soft shop rag to rub it again to make sure I got everything.

Unfortunately, either the sealer made the poor grout cleanup 'pop' or I didnt clean the sealer well enough, because I have some pretty good 'swirls' I can see when the light is off (just daylight coming in the window)

Is there anything I can do to clean this up (short of ripping the floor out!)?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-16, 11:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Did you seal just the grout or the tile too?

Mineral spirits might remove the sealer where you can then finish buffing the grout haze off of the tile.

Old 07-05-16, 12:24 PM
S
thanks for reply! I sealed tile and grout, as instructed by home depot tile person...

I'll try mineral spirits tonight...

Old 07-05-16, 12:36 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Go to a tile store not box store and see if they have grout haze remover. I'm sure it is a little more aggressive than your vinegar and water. I must admit that as muchn tile as I do, I have never run into this as I always follow up and buff the haze off as soon as the tiles can be safely walked on. So take the word of someone at the tile store as opposed to the clerk at a box store who likely has never installed tile.

Old 07-05-16, 12:39 PM
S
Good call. HD did sell me haze remover, but I have been wondering if this is just one more way I can screw up the job at the 11th hour

I'll go to a tile shop. Likely to get much better advice. Thanks for the reply!

Old 07-05-16, 03:14 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Z, would the grout haze remover work over top of the sealer?

Old 07-05-16, 04:48 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Mark, they may have to unseal first but I will leave it to the pros at the tile shop. As mentioned, I have never had this happen on any tile job I have installed, so I enter at a disadvantage. But for anyone reading, clearly, do not let the haze set up overnight - finish the job as you are doing it. The grout sets up relatively quickly, toss a large piece of cardboard on the floor for you to kneel on and start buffing. Walk on the tiles not he grout lines. If doing 12x12 tiles, I can kneel on one tile and my toes pointed land in the center of another tile so I don't need the cardboard.

Old 07-06-16, 04:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've been on jobs where for whatever reason the grout haze wasn't removed properly. As far as I know all the tile guys did when they returned was use water and a LOT of elbow grease to get rid of the haze ..... but there was never any sealer involved.