Small cracks in grout

Old 08-09-16, 09:32 AM
P
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Small cracks in grout

Just finished my main bathroom
I have large tiles with a small mosaic going across the shower wall made of small glass and stone on a net.
While the grout between the main tiles seems to be OK....the grout between the mosaic squares has shrunk a bit and is showing some cracks....

Considering that this was finished just a few weeks back and sealant was applied - can I still just add a bit of grout only in those areas with cracks ?
Do I need to remove any of the original grout ?

Any other suggestions to ensure this doesn't get worse....?

Old 08-09-16, 10:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
As for the cracking getting worse much of that has to do with your preparation before laying the tile. Cracking often indicates movement and adding more grout into the existing cracks will not help and the cracks will reappear and get worse with time.

Old 08-09-16, 01:08 PM
P
the tiles were put down by a pro..... seemed like he did a good job overall.... I am noticing those cracks only around the small mosaic section....not around the tiles.
I can snap a pic if that would help....

Old 08-09-16, 02:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
If they are hairline cracks, it could be that the grout was too wet or too dry. Did he use the same grout over all and maybe do that area last? If so, the grout had probably dried too much.

Old 08-13-16, 09:21 AM
P
UPDATE:
what I noticed is that all of them cracks either disappear completely or become almost invisible after they get wet.... I noticed them first thing in the morning as I am the first one to take the shower....so it can be said that they are worst when the grout is completely dried.

Old 08-13-16, 10:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
The grout probably just needs to be changed. Sounds like it was too dry when used.

Old 08-26-16, 06:20 AM
P
so do I need to remove the original grout or can I just apply a thin layer of fresh grout?
Alternatively, do they make a product that I could use on top of the existing grout?

Just trying to see what are my alternatives but please let me know what is the best solution that will provide solid and long lasting look?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: