Mixing grout types

Old 08-18-16, 03:15 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mixing grout types

Is it ok to mix sanded and non-sanded tile grout? This is for a shower wall with 1/8-3/16" spacing. I had some left over from another job and want to mix 50-50.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-16, 06:54 PM
J
How old are these grouts? Not when did you buy them, but when were they manufactured? Every bag has codes that'll tell you. When were they opened and how/where were they stored? Short answer; it's best to buy enough new grout to do the job.

Just for kicks; if I were doing this I think I would not mix them 50/50. I would want more sanded than unsanded, or add 15-20% fine silica to the unsanded. Problem; you have one chance to blend enough, so dry-blend then use the blended batch and hope you don't run out.

Jaz

Old 08-19-16, 09:39 AM
W
Grouts are all new, unopened. What is the 'shelf life' of grout? I never heard of this. Should I be checking the manufacturer's date when I purchase grout?
I have some leftover grout in my garage that's 15 years old and still seems to work ok for repair jobs in my back yard.

Old 08-19-16, 02:04 PM
J
The shelf life of grout if unopened and stored in a conditioned space is 12-24 months from the date coded on the package. Most manufacturers say 12 months. The same goes for most any cementitious product. Cement products can look fine, (powdery not in chunks), and still be bad. Sometimes they won't setup or just powder away.

Yes, you should double check the dates as you do when you buy milk. Problem is the manufacturers use codes that makes this difficult. I guarantee your 15 year old grout, was bad 13 years ago.

Jaz