How to fix a hole through tile and rotten subfloor.

Old 08-27-16, 08:59 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to fix a hole through tile and rotten subfloor.

I was replacing an interior door when a piece of tile broke. I retrieved the tile, but noticed the subfloor was completely rotted away around that area. I went into the basement and removed the insulation, and I noticed that much of the subfloor for the whole first floor is in a state of dry rot. It appears that during a past renovation, new plywood/subfloor was placed on top of the old dry rotted in the bathroom and kitchen. In the dining room, the hardwood floor feels a little spongy when walking on it. In the area where I broke the tile, there is a gap in the paneling. For more info, the house is 45 years, there appears to have been water damage in the past, though the basement is completely dry now. The inspector did not indicate there were any structural problems.

1. How should I go about fixing this.

2. Is there a larger and looming problem being that the sub floor is rotted for more than half of the first floor? I think the house has shifted somewhat, because I noticed some new cracks above doorways and some doors that I previously replaced do not close anymore.

When the wood is touched, it turns into this dusty mess:

Old 08-27-16, 09:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,608 Votes on 1,480 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A approved your moderated post. Usually that occurs when you're a new member and post five or more pictures in your first thread. It's part of the spam reduction program.

The pros will be by to comment on what's left of your subfloor.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  35.0 KB

Old 08-27-16, 09:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Votes on 382 Posts
I'd remove what floor covering you need to and replace as much of the rotted subfloor as feasible. It maybe helpful to add framing to better support the replacement plywood [if the end doesn't meet existing joist]

Old 08-27-16, 09:43 AM
E
Ok, got it. What about under the wall between the rooms? Right now, there is about 5 inches of length of the bottom plate exposed. Think I my be able to slide a piece of subfloor in there?

Old 08-27-16, 10:51 AM
J
What kind of shape are the floor joists in?

Old 08-27-16, 12:02 PM
E
Most of the joists are/were doubled up (sistered), so, about half are old and rotten, and the other half appear to be in good shape.

Old 08-27-16, 03:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Votes on 382 Posts
Usually it's not feasible to replace the plywood under the studs but it might be necessary to scrape/chisel it out above joists and insert a shim. If you have good access from below that might be easier.

Old 08-27-16, 04:45 PM
E
I do have good access below. I imagine I would put a piece of subfloor from below and add more framing. Either that or tear up the bathroom floor for top access.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: